Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 PM

Default OT: Dark Side SACD?

Has anybody heard the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon? I'm intrested to hear if it's any good. Did they remix it in 5.1, or is it the quadrophonic mix?

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 12-11-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: OT: Dark Side SACD?

I like it, I have the CD version and it sounds quite a bit better to me than the 16 bit version. I'm not sure about 5.1 or quad, but I do like the sound even on my el cheapo sony all in one unit.

Norm Glowach
Old 12-11-2003, 11:22 PM

Good to hear

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the original quadrophonic mix on CD in DTS 4.0

I'm guessing it was a bootleg of sorts, but it sounds great. The only down-side to it is that it's all as one track, but I did notice some little differences in the mix towards the end of the album compared to the old CD mix. I'll be intrested to compare the two of them.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 12-22-2003, 02:15 PM

It's got three layers, 1.CD, 2. SACD and 3. SACD 5.1. The CD/SACD layers are the original mix remastered by Doug Sax and James Guthrie. The SACD 5.1 layer is a new mix by James Guthrie. I don't have a 5.1 setup but I've got a new Sony SACD player. The sound is spectacular without being hyped. It's really a happy marriage of analog warmth and digital clarity....highly recommended, as are the recent Stones and Bob Dylan multi-layer remasters.
The only thing I don't like is that they changed the cover art.......

Andi
Old 01-02-2004, 12:24 AM

The 5.1 mix is AMAZING! It's probably my favorite album out of all my SACD's/DVD-A's. Definitely worth checking out when you get the chance.

Other great 5.1 mixes: Beck "Sea Change," Norah Jones "Come Away w/ Me," Miles Davis "Kind of Blue," Metallica "Metallica," R.E.M "Automatic for the People," Herbie Hancock "Headhunters."