Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 09:28 PM

Default so apparently wordclocking is important, someone educate me.

Okay, so I've got the 001, and I will probably be getting a yamaha 01v with the adat option card in it.

I know that digital stuff has to be all clocked to the same word clock, otherwise, things go to crap.

What I dont know is that if the s/pdif connections between the 001 and the 01v will sync it up.

any help?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:38 PM

Default Re: so apparently wordclocking is important, someone educate me.

does the 01v have a word clock output? either way, just select one or the other from inside PT. from sync mode, either choose internal to use PT's clock, or spdif to use the 01v's clock. if it has it, i recommend using it.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:40 PM

ADAT lightpipe carries word clock data imbedded in the data stream, along with the digital audio data. So does S/PDIF. So plugging the 01V's lightpipe out (via the optional MY8-AT lightpipe card) and setting the PT software to clock via the incoming lightpipe will be all you have to worry about - easy to do and works just fine.

That's assuming you want the 01V to serve as the master clock for the system. You can also go the other way, and have the Yamaha slave to the word clock data from your Digi 001... since the Yamaha's internal clock only runs at (if memory serves) 44.1 KHz and doesn't "do" 48 KHz from its own clock, this is the way to go if you want to record at the 48 KHz sample rate.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:19 AM

I have a yamaha 03d mixer, which I slave to the 001 as master, and that works ok.

But do you think I would get a superior result if the 03d acted as the worklclock master, or would it make no difference?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 AM

I'm glad someone brought this up and i have a question that may seem silly to the vets but.... i would like to know if he uses the s/pdif's to sync pro tools and the yamaha can he used the spidf to also send audio data or is it if he uses the spif's for sync he must use the adat to send the data or music
Old 02-07-2003, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by samuel40:
I'm glad someone brought this up and i have a question that may seem silly to the vets but.... i would like to know if he uses the s/pdif's to sync pro tools and the yamaha can he used the spidf to also send audio data or is it if he uses the spif's for sync he must use the adat to send the data or music
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Again, S/PDIF carries both word clock sync AND audio data simultaneously, so if you wish, you can send the stereo out (S/PDIF) from the Yamaha into the Digi 001's S/PDIF in, and have PT LE set to derrive its word clock from that incoming S/PDIF - while also using the incoming audio. And it's also possible to use the Yamaha's ADAT out and S/PDIF outputs simultaneously. Since both are synchronous (from the same device, with the same "master" word clock - the internal Yamaha clock) the data is going to be in sync (word clock wise) and either can act as the "source" for the word clock to the Digi 001.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin:
I have a yamaha 03d mixer, which I slave to the 001 as master, and that works ok.

But do you think I would get a superior result if the 03d acted as the worklclock master, or would it make no difference?

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It depends on which device has the most stable, "jitter free" internal word clock. I'd say it's probably the Yamaha, so you might see better results if you "flip" it - make the Yamaha the master with PT LE slaving to it. I'd suggest you try both and see if you hear any differences. If you do, it will probably be very subtle - listen for less "grit / graininess", wider stereo imaging and better low and high frequency definition.

I run a pair of Yamaha mixers (AW4416's, which are essentially 02R's with better converters, shorter 60 mm faders and 16 track HDR's onboard) but I don't use the internal clocks on anything for most tasks - I use a Lucid GENx6 as my master word clock for the entire studio. It's not very expensive (around $350 or so), but it made a significant improvement in the whole studio - tighter lows, less grainy highs, better stereo imaging, etc. It has only BNC word clock jacks, which my Yamahas also have, but sadly, PT LE hardware lacks - so I connect a BNC cable to each Yamaha (unfortunately, I don't think the original 01V has this BNC in jack, and I am not sure about the 03D - I think it does - I know the new 01V96 does...) and set them to get their word clock from these dedicated word clock jacks. I then "daisy chain" the word clock from the one of the Yamahas (via the ADAT lightpipe or S/PDIF out) to my Pro Tools LE / Digi 002 setup. I would connect directly from the Lucid to the Digi 002, but unfortunately, the Digi 002 (as well as the Digi 001) lacks a dedicated word clock in jack on a BNC connector. This is unfortunate - while it's okay to "daisy chain" word clock in this way, it's usually "best" to run a dedicated cable directly from the master clock (my Lucid) to each individual device. That's why I am a strong crusader for the inclusion of dedicated word clock in / out jacks on ALL devices with digital I/O on them. However, while not "ideal", I still hear an improvement in PT when sending it clock info in this manner instead of using its internal word clock.

Word clock can be a confusing topic, but it's not really all THAT hard... the main thing to keep in mind is that ALL digitally connected devices should be getting their clock information from a single source - either a dedicated, master word clock generator or the internal clock on one of the digitally connected devices. The connection method usually doesn't matter all that much - BNC connectors, ADAT lightpipe or S/PDIF can all be used - just as long as only one device is the master and everything else is slaving to that common master.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:05 PM

Phil, and everyone else; I really appreciate all of the help. You guys rock!