Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2002, 02:56 PM

Default Sould I go to the Dark Side?

Thanks to this group, I've built an AMD system designed to use the 001. For that I thank you. I am building my home studio piece by piece. I recently purchased Reason and a USB midi controller primarilly for my drum and keys tracking. I am making a rock and roll record. I understand that XP will be here soon, but is the 001 really what I need? A friend is trying to convince me to Sonar and the Tascam US428. I will only need to track a few things at once. I was sold to the 001, but am having second thoughts on a limited budget. any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2002, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Sould I go to the Dark Side?

I've used both Sonar and PTLE. I like them both. I didn't have the hangups and freezes that others were having with Sonar. It just seemed a little more cluttered to me than PTLE. I've heard it has better Midi capabilities than PTLE but I'm not a big Midi person yet so it doesn't apply to me. Download the trial software and give it a try. It should be ready for WinXP.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2002, 03:26 PM

I'm in agreement with Allen. I own Sonar, Logic Platinum, Vegas and PT, and I find PT is the quickest / easiest for audio stuff. MIDI is functional, but basic in comparison to Logic or Sonar. And don't forget, that US-428 can work as a MIDI interface and as a controller for PT. I have one and with the exception of the lack of moving faders, it's a nearly ideal unit in that respect.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:29 PM

do it...i love my Thunderbird..hic

Old 06-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Yo P. North, Which Midi?USB controller did you get? Is it the Oxygen 8?
I was just reviewing the Logic Control DVD last night and I have to say that it's very impressive, plus the faders feel so nice compared to most of the 'Project Studio' stuff.
There are so many great ways to go right now(Logic, Sonar, and Cubase SX), just spend some time Demoing different programs and looking at feature sets, then you can record that CD without running into a bunch of brick walls like I did with PTLE's limitations.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys, I really thought I would get blasted here for not settling on PT. BTW Allen, this is a version of your sub system... been working great. I have not purchased a sound card (or XP) yet, so these will probably my next step. I guess Im leaning more toward the Tascam US428 now that I've heard your comments.
one question:
I am noticing a signal delay (latency) between the time I play my controller (midiman keystation) and when the actual note is heard or recorded (in Reason). To the point where I can't play along to the song in realtime. will this be corrected when I get a soundcard?
I would think my processor would be big enough, XP1800+ 512mb Ga7dx.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 AM

Yeah that latency is UNREAL when using the 001 as your soundcard for Reason, and I can't confirm this, but I've heard it's similar while using the 001 with Logic. I'm not sure how many miliseconds it's off by but the RME cards only have a 1.5 milisecond latency, which is pretty much innaudible.
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm
They make some of the best DAW interfaces on the market.