Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 PM

Default Can PT utilize mouse "tiltwheels"? 4-way scrollwheels that go left<->right too?

I see on lots of mice that have "tiltable" scrollwheels that can be pushed side to side. They're used quite a bit in business settings to scroll horizontally in large spreadsheets I think, 4-way scrolling I think it's called.

Is anyone using a mouse with this feature? I know SHIFT+scrollwheel scrolls PT horizontally, but can the tiltwheel be modified to scrub, or perform some other horizontal feature, maybe even free us from using the SHIFT button?

Hope I'm being clear.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Can PT utilize mouse "tiltwheels"? 4-way scrollwheels that go left<->right too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
I see on lots of mice that have "tiltable" scrollwheels that can be pushed side to side. They're used quite a bit in business settings to scroll horizontally in large spreadsheets I think, 4-way scrolling I think it's called.

Is anyone using a mouse with this feature? I know SHIFT+scrollwheel scrolls PT horizontally, but can the tiltwheel be modified to scrub, or perform some other horizontal feature, maybe even free us from using the SHIFT button?

Hope I'm being clear.

Thanks!
It depends on the mouse. The Apple magic mouse can scroll sideways by swiping sideways. I have tried a few that could tilt the scroll wheel left/right, but PT (perhaps it was OS X) didn't recognize it as a scroll (it just paged up and down). I also tried setting the tilt to a key combo of shift + the scroll wheel, but IIRC, the software driver didn't like that (had to configure in windows- no mac version of the driver, then save to the mouse itself, then reboot to try in PT). Some newer mouses have ARM procs and storage built in, so they retain settings across systems, but it's a toss-up on whether they scroll side-to-side or not. Maybe you'll have better luck than me if you're using windows. I eventually settled on something that was comfortable, but I do miss the side-scrolling without holding shift.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Can PT utilize mouse "tiltwheels"? 4-way scrollwheels that go left<->right too?

If you're using a Mac, SteerMouse might help.
A 30 day trial is available.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/
Old 09-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Sorry I should have mentioned earlier that I'm in Windows. There's an app called X-Mouse that I'm trying out now, but not having the best luck.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:03 AM

Logitech G700s , with their Gaming Software Utility : programmed the push scrollwheel left/right to do "Alt PageDown" and "Alt PageUp" (this shortcut is not documented to work with the edit window, but does). Scrolls by page, works super fine.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060