Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Anyone else here concerned with the lack of available DSP plugins?

TC MD3 Suite Bundle for example.... The BW limiter II is aging now but I would like to keep it if I upgrade to HDX.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 PM

The TC Electronic and Waves plugs are the reason for me to stay on PT10 TDM for me.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
As Rich has said, the Soundtoys plugins are a big hole in my creative workflow....
I'd recommend anyone who's a Soundtoys user write a note to support at Soundtoys (https://www.soundtoys.com/forms/support) asking for DSP. Waves is a dead issue; they're fully committed to Soundgrid.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Waves is a dead issue; they're fully committed to Soundgrid.
No, they aren't. They're just as committed to Soundgrid than they were to APA boxes. Anyone dumb enough to buy one of those?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, they aren't. They're just as committed to Soundgrid than they were to APA boxes. Anyone dumb enough to buy one of those?
Quite, I'd love to know the Soundgrid sales figures rather than HDX cards one (happy with two HDX cards here, don't regret buying them at all). I've not even heard of anyone in post using them let alone actually know anyone that has one. Doubt they sell many even in music or live sound either.

Pete
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Has Soundgrid even shipped yet?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Yes the digigrid are being sold as pre-orders, I'll try to talk to my contact to see how the sales are going over at his place.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/DiGiGrid

Wave-T.com
Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
digigrid are being sold as pre-orders
So in reality those don't exist yet? Wasn't it Waves who made a big point about not enough Avid DSP systems sold so therefore they needed one of their own? Which does not exist yet? So zero Waves DSP and how many Avid DSP out there?

C'mon Waves, drop your trash already...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Yeah, although let's play devil advocate a moment.. (even though I'm not pro digigrid). Avid did have a leg up on development of the HDX system before digico (or so I believe), they did also come out 2 years before the digigrid (if they ever get out).

Now let's play the anti devil advocate

But as of last year, 7500+ HDX system sold.. not just card but system (so including multiple cards in there too not ust single cards to boost the numbers).. if Waves were to make the switch and even charge 300 (which I'm pretty sure pretty much anyone with the mercury bundle would pay happily to get to HDX) That's a possible 2.25 M there for them, that's not even counting other people who have other bundles or just a few plugins.

So at this point who has wager on their future between Avid and Waves and won? Avid seems to be heading to a victory here. Digigrid was announced early 2013, it's still not out. In comparison Avid were starting shipping the system around 6(?) months after the unveiling in 2011, To me that seems to show that they are testing the water to see if it's even worth it to commit to the platform by seeing how many pre order system they will have. If I'm right and they don't get the desired amount to be worth it, we may see the system dying before it's even shipped, which would be even worst than the apa fiasco.

My contact just answered me as I'm typing this. He's had very little interest shown to the system by customers and that's a full year and a half after it was announced... He can't talk for the other product manager that works with him, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction going on for them.

In the end though, it will boil down to this. What are your needs and preference. Do you prefer using a third party outside box with it's complex routing to work with your plugins, or would you prefer having an integrated system that doesn't require to rely on a other set of servers running it's own os, adding it's own latency to your system.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM

I too was quite disappointed that Waves decided to develop their own hosting system rather than convert to HDX DSP.

However, check out this interview with Meir Shaashua of waves:
http://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/review...aves-story.pdf

I know a lot of it is probably PR fluff, however I thought Meir made some interesting points.
About SoundGrid:
‘I went with the ideas of SoundGrid to Avid, multiple meetings trying to persuade them that networking was the way to go forward. They didn’t want to hear about it. The truth is that the DAW market is a little backwards right now, it hasn’t been following up with what could be done. ‘At Gigabit ethernet you can run 400 audio channels or 200 at 96kHz,’ he says. ‘That’s quite a lot of power. Now 10Gigabit is coming down in price and in five years it’s going to be commonplace — Thunderbolt is already 10Gigabit output; but it’s not a network. People say it’s great for audio but it’s just got a lot of bandwidth.

And this statement also seems more forwards thinking than much of the stuff I've read from Avid development gurus.
"It was becoming clear that cost effectively it was better to get DSP from an Intel processor than from a DSP and you can see this today — an HDX card will cost you seven grand at Sweetwater while a server that has twice the power is $1500. We realised that ten years ago like we realised networking technology and how it was also always growing."

FYI, I am not a Waves fanboy. It's just interesting to think what situation Avid might be in if they had been more forward thinking about DSP and/or networking.

Last edited by Snap; 06-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.