Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2000, 10:15 PM

Default Mac converts from the dark side

I've been reading various posts from new Digi users, many of which state their migration from WinTel systems to Mac OS solely to use the 001 w/ProTools. Welcome. As a longtime MacGeek and a DigiHead, I love to see this. Coming to the Mac from Windows is initally awkward for most converts, but those who do discover quickly how much more elegant and intuitive the Mac OS is-particularly in a creative application.PC users don't understand how clumsy and overly complex the Windows environment is until they experience the Mac OS. Unfortunately, all users of this breakthrough Digi platform are having to deal with the growing pains of a very young product. Longtime Digi users know,as do longtime Mac users,that Digi is listening to your complaints and is addressing them even as you read this. The new converts to the Rebel Alliance(re:Mac OS) should take comfort in this fact as well-one of the benefits of not being a behemoth corporation is the capacity to listen and respond to their users needs-quickly and with sincere intent to improve their product-for the benefit of their users. Wintel converts-welcome to the fold! You didn't just buy a computer, you bought into a family-of users who love their tools-and are expected to complain when they don't do what was expected...and push them past their intended capacities...to create. This motivates the user base to expect more-which in turn motivates the manufacturers to exceed our expectations-a wonderful cycle of innovation. This is the Macintosh Way. PC converts-get spoiled by your new way of creating-and keep trying to break what you just bought.Otherwise, they'll never fix it.Rock on!
Old 01-13-2000, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Mac converts from the dark side

Hear! Hear!

Although I don't know what the poor NT users will do...with M$ being told to split itself up. In a year we might have a bunch of "Baby Bills" (I know, I know: Use a pun, go to jail).

Maybe they'll actually get a better OS out of the whole thing - in a year or three.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-14-2000, 12:23 AM

I will be switching over to Mac. I found a
demo G3 B&W Server 400/256 RAM/ and 2 9 gig
ultra-SCSI hard drives for $2100.

Still in box, but was opened. Good deal of no?

------------------
Old 01-14-2000, 07:24 PM

Hell Yeah! However you will have to purchase an ATA 33 or 66 drive for the last bay. The authorisation keys require it. I.E. Put your system folder & apps on the ATA drive. Check Maxtor 27 gig at buy.com $220. Drops right in. No extra cables or drivers needed. You'll be gig'd up the proverbial wazoo!
Old 01-15-2000, 12:32 AM

thanks shaggy, I havent plunked down the cash yet. Maybe I would be better off getting
a G3/G4 with ATA drive, and with the extra $, get more RAM and a 2nd HD?
Old 01-17-2000, 07:58 AM

Purchase an ide drive? There are no keys for 001 - it's serial number/check for hardware only.

Mike
Old 01-17-2000, 08:20 AM

20 gig 7200rpm ata drives are preferred over 27 gb. This is advice from Steve Rosenthal,
the pro-tools hard-drive guru. Apparently,
it has to do with seek times.

I would go for the G4 rather than the G3,
at this point, because Digidesign have
engineers working on optimizing software
for the velocity engine.

haze
Old 01-18-2000, 08:57 PM

Mike,
...was pleasantly surprised when I looked at my registration card and the response code was there. I successfully used this in the past with Peak and Vision 4.2.1c. I had the unfortunate task of uninstalling Vision and moving it to a faster Yosemite & 8.6- the floppy enabler did not work. I was relieved to see it on Pro Tools. Good one digi! (What about Masterlist?)

However, I am going to retract my previous statement here and say I think the server may not be so 'compatible'. Problems running Pro Tools on a scsi card drive as of late. Why not got for a sawtooth and ATA instead? By the way I formatted my 27 gig into 4 volumes as per Steve's suggestion. 2 mb cache is crucial.
Old 01-18-2000, 11:22 PM

Shaggy,
You are a boon to the pages here. Do you suggest a G4 Sawtooth over your Yosemite?
What if it came down to a 350saw VS 400yikes?
Does your Yosemite have the velocity Engine?
You mentioned "Yosemite AV" somewhere. Did they make an AV-specific model? Good deals on G4 yikes right now...
Curt