How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 09:31 AM

Default Workspace crashes during audio playback

Hello,

when I play sounds on the workspace, and then hit stop, pro tools freezes for a couple of seconds and then crashes. It's never happened before, and weirdly it started in the afternoon (in the morning was working) without updating or changing any settings whatsoever.

I tried quitting, turning off and booting up again, disconnecting and connecting the external SSD where I keep my library, tried other external drives, I even made a catalogue with a folder on my desktop with 4 audio files in it. It still crashes every time I hit stop.

I'm running Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.0 on MacBook Pro M1 Max, 4 TB SSD, 64 GB RAM, OS Ventura 13.6.5.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
Old 03-27-2024, 10:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: Workspace crashes during audio playback

Hi SPDeaf,

Can you DM me your system id or MyAvid email so I can coordinate your concern to our tech support team?
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 03-30-2024, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi SPDeaf,

Can you DM me your system id or MyAvid email so I can coordinate your concern to our tech support team?
Hi,

one thing that I didn't actually try was trashing pro tools preferences, so ~/Library/Preferences/Avid --> pro tools and delete everything that's in it.

that seemed to fix the issue, thanks anyway!
Old 04-01-2024, 06:50 AM
Avid

That's cool! Just let us know if there's anything else I can help.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 04-01-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
That's cool! Just let us know if there's anything else I can help.
Oh yes! Someone else with this issue. I have a case ID: 04706576

Deleting the PT preference file is the temporary solution (or restoring from a working backup so you don't lose all your preferences).

The problem I have is it keeps returning!! Something occurs to corrupt the ProTools Pref file over the course of use over hours or days. It's not related to the drive or files. Also it was happening to me on two completely different systems (Mac Pro 2019 running Catalina and PT2023.12 / Mac Studio running Ventura 13.6.3 and PT2024.3).

Would love for there to be further investigation into this as I'm not really getting anywhere with my current case.

Forrester
Old 04-02-2024, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsavell View Post

Deleting the PT preference file is the temporary solution (or restoring from a working backup so you don't lose all your preferences).

The problem I have is it keeps returning!! Something occurs to corrupt the ProTools Pref file over the course of use over hours or days. It's not related to the drive or files. Also it was happening to me on two completely different systems (Mac Pro 2019 running Catalina and PT2023.12 / Mac Studio running Ventura 13.6.3 and PT2024.3).

Would love for there to be further investigation into this as I'm not really getting anywhere with my current case.

Forrester
good to know. didn't happen to me yet but I'll keep an eye on this post and reply if it happens again!
Old 04-02-2024, 08:55 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsavell View Post

Forrester
HI Forrester

I know that Osamu escalated this to our engineering team to see what was the difference between the good and suspect pref files. Waiting on a response back so I pinged him to bug them again.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com