Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 08:19 AM

Default Maximum IO with carbon based system?

Hi Everyone
I jumped on the carbon bandwagon early on when it first launched and currently have a Carbon with 16 channels of I/O added via ADAT.

This gives me 24 I/O at my studio, which at the time of purchase was the maximum I/O for a carbon system.

With the release of the Carbon Pre am I correct to assume we can now have more than 24 I/O?

Can I add a Carbon Pre and thereby increase to 32? Can I use the ADATS on the Carbon Pre to add 16 more and go to 48?

Would love to hear from either Eddie at Avid or someone who has actually done this in their studio, not a theoretical "it should work" kinda thing.

Thank you!
Philip
Old 01-16-2024, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Maximum IO with carbon based system?

i sent an email and got a response from a contact at avid. for those wondering, here is the maximum I/O in a carbon system currently:

Inputs - 41

24 Mic Pres (Carbon + 2 Carbon Pre)

16 ADAT (Carbon at 44.1/48)

1 Talkback (Carbon)

Outputs - 50

2 Analog via TRS (Carbon)

4 Headphone Out (8 channels total via Carbon)

24 Analog via DB25 (Carbon + 2 Carbon Pre)

16 ADAT (Carbon at 44.1/48)
Old 01-19-2024, 02:53 AM

interesting!

I was under the impression that Carbon Pre would not expand the number of simultaneous inputs available in ProTools (still limited to 24+1 inputs).

can anyone with Carbon Pre confirm the post above and tell me if you can actually record 40+1 inputs simultaneously?

This might have me investing in one or two Carbon Pre units if proven to be true..
Old 01-19-2024, 07:59 PM

You can use the Carbon main unit for 24 I/O (8 Mic/Line analog, 16 ADAT), plus the 8 analog (16 total) on two Carbon Pre units.

I asked Mark Corbin if we'll ever be able to use the ADAT ports on the Carbon Pre units simultaneously with analog to expand even further. He said it's on the roadmap, but this was quite some time ago. I checked in with him last August and he had no new updates to give. Hopefully we will get this capability soon.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
He said it's on the roadmap, but this was quite some time ago. I checked in with him last August and he had no new updates to give. Hopefully we will get this capability soon.
Don't hold your breath. Carbon has been out for years. Still waiting for it to work with Space AAX DSP, still waiting for remote volume control, still waiting for EUCON control, still waiting for the hybrid engine sync problems to be fixed.

I suspect Carbon is a failed product, I don't think sales have been good. When it was new, Avid reps were in this forum all the time, now they hardly ever turn up. There's not enough traffic to warrant their attention. They've moved on to the next thing...

We have had some features added - pre-amp remote control, Atmos/surround monitoring - and the addition of the vastly over-priced Carbon Pre to the line-up.

Who knows, maybe it will all come good. I love mine, but I have very limited needs. I wouldn't want to base a professional studio around it.

Dominic
Old 01-20-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Don't hold your breath. Carbon has been out for years. Still waiting for it to work with Space AAX DSP, still waiting for remote volume control, still waiting for EUCON control, still waiting for the hybrid engine sync problems to be fixed.

I suspect Carbon is a failed product, I don't think sales have been good. When it was new, Avid reps were in this forum all the time, now they hardly ever turn up. There's not enough traffic to warrant their attention. They've moved on to the next thing...

We have had some features added - pre-amp remote control, Atmos/surround monitoring - and the addition of the vastly over-priced Carbon Pre to the line-up.

Who knows, maybe it will all come good. I love mine, but I have very limited needs. I wouldn't want to base a professional studio around it.

Dominic
Lots to unpack here From the top -- First Avid Carbon has been on the market for 3 years this last November AND incidentally right in time for Covid to begin to reek havoc on all manufacturing supply and product development etc.

I also have limited needs in term of I/O in fact my single Carbon serves me fine. But in all honesty Carbon was never designed NOR marketed towards large I/O count studio needs... It was from the get go marketed towards more limited I/O needs ,, like the Artists themselves or small project studios. Lets face it (why would Avid compete with its own HDX market)

As far as "failed product" that seems like a fairly glass 1/2 empty perception.
Obviously without actual sales numbers vs production numbers that is mere wild speculation . Frankly given the market it was actually aimed towards 24 inputs via two Carbon Pre extensions is I would think an indication of some success more than failure .

As far as "vastly overpriced" while no doubt at a premium still seems fairly subjective, given the quality level of preamp and conversion and the seamless integration .

And as far as this sub forum slowing traffic wise ? Agree it has slowed. BUT then again maybe has as much to do with a lot of the initial new product questions having been answered, and the bundled license fiasco being put to rest --- as any "failed product" reason ? -----Juss sayin'
And please no fanboy nonsense there are things about Avid that irk me, but Carbon's design limitations is not one of them

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-20-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:18 AM

I really love Carbon's converters. I've tested MTRX with the DAD modules, Antelope Galaxy 64, and Apogee Symphony mk2 in my treated room. I've never tried Lynx Aurora(n). Carbon in my room with ATC SCM45a and the ATC sub is the best I've heard. I used to have a huge bucket of external mic pres and sold off most of them except two 1084s, two Shelford Channels, and Tree Audio Branch. Otherwise Carbon Pres work great.

I know a few folks using Carbon Expanded in their studios. I think there's a threshold where it just makes sense. Obviously anyone already invested in HDX or the studios with large consoles needing 64+ I/O is not the target market. I suspect Carbon must have been doing well enough for Avid to release Carbon Pre. I do wish the Pre was lower in price which I think hurt Avid in the long run that people wrote off Carbon Expanded because to go all-in (brand new) would be around $10k.

Carbon isn't perfect, but I'm happier with it than my old HDX system. I think for smaller studio setups with no console it's a great way to go.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:58 PM

Using a pair of Carbons, one booted into Carbon Pre mode by holding the input button on power up, plus a MOTU 16A for an additional 8 i/o over adat at 96k.
The Carbon plus Carbon Pre gives 16 analog ins, 18 analog outs, 4 stereo HP mix outs, plus the additional 8 analog I/o from the 16A over adat at 96k.
I'll use the Carbon pres on remote choral/orchestra work, but usually lean into Neve/Trident input modules when tracking heavier stuff in the studio.
Apple MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro 16GB 1TB 2021
Old 01-24-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
Using a pair of Carbons, one booted into Carbon Pre mode by holding the input button on power up, plus a MOTU 16A for an additional 8 i/o over adat at 96k.
The Carbon plus Carbon Pre gives 16 analog ins, 18 analog outs, 4 stereo HP mix outs, plus the additional 8 analog I/o from the 16A over adat at 96k.
I'll use the Carbon pres on remote choral/orchestra work, but usually lean into Neve/Trident input modules when tracking heavier stuff in the studio.
Interesting so in lieu of Carbon Pre -- Wondering what was thinking/reason --did you already have a second Carbon, or got one used maybe ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-24-2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Interesting so in lieu of Carbon Pre -- Wondering what was thinking/reason --did you already have a second Carbon, or got one used maybe ?
This is exactly what my setup is. I was gonna buy a Carbon Pre but I was able to purchase a second Carbon refurb for under $2k. Kind of a no brainer!