Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Cannot Play iTunes in Digi Core Audio

Pro Tools LE 7.4.2cs4 002 Rack
IMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 3 GB SDRAM 10.5.8

I'm sure this has been covered ad-naseum, but I couldn't find any real fixes here. I cannot get Digi Core Audio to playback my stereo mixes for my clients in iTunes. I have tried trashing preferences amongst other things to no avail. Is it possible to fix this problem?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Cannot Play iTunes in Digi Core Audio

I just updated and this hasn't been a problem again...yet. But in case it happens after updating, the temporary fix is to open "activity monitor" which is under Utilities, then quit process "coreaudiod". This fixes it for a while, until a couple songs through, it'll start glitching out again and you'll have to repeat. major pain.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM

The simplest fix is to run a cable from the line out of the computer(mini TRS) to the Alt inputs of the 002(dual RCA). Hit the Alt to Mon button to listen to all non-Pro Tools sounds. It will save you lots of headaches is you do this instead of trying to share the 002 with everything else.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM

This method worked for me (the post refers to 003, but I'm guessing it's the same for 002):

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshah
Hey, to help anyone who has this issue. It annoyed the hell out of me until I figured it out. Turns out to be quite easy to fix--these steps take all of 30 seconds:

1) Close iTunes

2) Open the Digi CoreAudio Manager. (This app should be running if you're not using Pro Tools, but want to use the 003 as for other computer audio like iTunes)

3) Set the Buffer Size in CoreAudio Manager to 256 (this is the main thing for resolving the issue)

4) Go to System Preferences > Sound and set the output to Digidesign HW (003)

5) Open iTunes, audio should work through the 003

Note: If these steps don't work, try them again after restarting with the 003 connected

Hope this helps anyone looking to fix this issue!

~Neil
http://www.neilshah.com

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM

I've tried all suggestions to no avail. The only thing that works is hooking up the headphone out of my computer to the alt input of the 002. Amazing that Digi does not support the playback of other applications within the computer. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Interestingly, it works FINE with my MBoxPro 2, without coreaudio. Just set the output to the Digidesign hardware choice in the output tab of the OSX's Sound system prefs. This won't work on HD systems (tried it earlier today), but I don't have my 002 anymore so I don't know if it's possible on that system. Seems to be more hardware related than software.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothlight View Post
I just updated and this hasn't been a problem again...yet. But in case it happens after updating, the temporary fix is to open "activity monitor" which is under Utilities, then quit process "coreaudiod". This fixes it for a while, until a couple songs through, it'll start glitching out again and you'll have to repeat. major pain.
This is the only one that FINALLY DID WORK for me!
Thank you so much for the suggestion, I was going nuts..
PS: I don't care if it's not permanent, it takes a second and it lasts to the next boot.
NICE!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Trashing the pref doesn't work for me (using Tech support app.) the only thing that works is to manually trash the com.digidesign.coreaudio plist manually. I've only recently had this problem--no recent upgrades and it never was an issue in the past...