Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Major Sample Rate/Session Corruption Clean-up

Ok,

I'm helping a friend out with a little problem. You see he was tracking to PT through an ADAT XT via the ADAT clock @ 48k, yet the PT sessions were set to 44.1k. There are 10+ sessions total. As long as the clock is set to optical he's ok, but the session cannot run internal (in correct time). All of this makes perfect sense to me. The only thing is I'm having to do a lot to get the sessions back to normal. First off I've used Rails Header app. (you're awesome dude) to correct the sample rate info on the header data to 48k (which is what it actually is). Second I saved "sesssion copy in," and changed the sample rate to 48k - the only thing is PT will not relink to the new files (even if I manually try). I can however open the session, import the wav files, and drop them on to the grid (in slip mode) in the exact place the old wav's were. But that only works for whole files that are regions, not sliced regions. I don't want to consolidate the old regions to files (before changing the header data) b/c that would affect their quality b/c of internal processing right? There must be an easier way. I wish "save session copy in" did not automatically check conversion of the audio files. You can't uncheck it (it's greyed out).

Anyone been through this before and got a quick & easy way?

Thanks,

rockrev
Old 02-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Major Sample Rate/Session Corruption Clean-up

Ok,

I'm at home now and I don't have the session files, nor do I have an external ADAT format clock here, so I can't test this. I'm going to get together with him tomorrow and I was wondering if this sounds like it will work to you guys.

1. Backup all session folders (in case I screw them up more).
2. Make new sessions at the correct sample rate - 48k.
3. Use Rail's Header app. to change the sample rate info on the original files to 48k.
4. Open the new sessions and "import session data" from the old sessions - importing tracks WITHOUT using SRC.
5. Check playback in new session with clock @ "internal" and save.

Well, how's that sound? Comments, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks,

rockrev
Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 PM

Rock, I ran into very similar problems when importing from ADAT and HDR into PT. I recall having to create sessions at 48K and 44.1k, then import each file to the correct session. The only easy way to do this was to render each file before import then export each file from PT at the correct sample rate.

That said, I believe there is now a way (new in 6.x) to change the samlpe rate in the header files through the PT project browser. This lists each file in the session and there is a column for sample rate that can be modified within the browser.

Hope this helps...
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 02-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Yeah,

I read about the workspace fix on the Answerbase. The only thing is, the session (not the files) will remain at the wrong sample rate. There are many overdubs left to do, lots of editing, and of course, mixing. I think it would be best for the session and the files to be correct. I'm not sure though - never faced this. I'm always extra careful when using other clocks.

rockrev
Old 02-13-2005, 10:13 PM

I understand... I don't think you'll find an easy fix to do this 'right'.

One last idea... Eliminate the clock all together when transferring into PT. Playback the ADATs at the correct sample rate and treat them as an analog source into PT. I understand that you'd be adding another set of D/A - A/D conversions into the tracks, but that slight cost in quality may be worth the time you'll save...

Good luck...
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 PM

I think the easiest and fastest way to get through this is to keep working with the session the way it is. Do the entire project as is (keep clocking at the wrong rate off of the external source), then bounce to disk as normal, keeping it at 44.1k. Then make a new session set a 48k, go to “import audio to track” and import the bounces to the session. Just hit “add” files (not convert). Now, set PT clock to internal, and in the new session the files should play back at the right speed. You can now do a 44.1k bounce of each one. The long alternative to this is to do it for each track, (which would require you to consolidate each track) but you were looking for the fast and easy way. In the future (I'm sure you already mentioned to them) inform your friend to use two optical cables, one each for the ADAT in and ADAT out, and clock using the internal PT.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 AM

Thanks, but he said when he tried to bounce it played slow. I'm guessing bounce requires internal clocking. I know this is all fixable and it won't be easy, but if he wants it done right he'll just have to take the time.

rockrev
Old 02-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Just for future note (if anyone searches for this) my 5-step process [posted above] worked perfect. Thanks again Rail!

rockrev