Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Default A midi controller for guitar

I'm a guitar player and I find it tough at times to translate my guitar work into keyboard midi data so that I can have a print out using the Score editor.. I know it's a tough act to find any program that can translate audio into midi so I went out there looking for something like a midi pickup that I could use with my guitars and record the guitar right into midi data.. Well, one I've seen is the You Rock Guitar YRG-1000... In the marketing material on line, it's mentioned that this controller will work with GarageBand, but there's no word that I can find as far as working with Pro Tools.. does anyone know if this particular product will work with Pro Tools and windows 7, and/or, is there another product that can do what I'm hoping? Thanks, Richrdc
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Re: A midi controller for guitar

I'm currently working with the YRG folks trying to get it to work. Does not produce reliable results. Appears to be some kind of driver problem.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Re: A midi controller for guitar

Roland has made several guitar synths that have a pickup that translates what you play into MIDI. I haven't used the newer ones, but the 2 problems I have always had with mine (a GR-30) are:
1. it tends to use pitch wheel instead of making a new note event. Apparently it thinks that I am bending into a note instead of playing a new note. This problem makes it pretty much useless for recording anything you play fast.
2. It has a noticeable amount of latency.

These two problems make it incredibly tedious to edit an actual "performance" into MIDI that can be turned into a score, but it could still be useful if you just want to play a chord every bar or so, and then program in more detail.

Or, maybe the new ones work a lot better. My GR30 is probably 15 years old, so it's not exactly cutting edge.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?