Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 06:18 PM

Default Aux Channels for Effects

Can somebody give me the low down on using Aux inputs with reverb. Tell me if I'm doing this right... I creat two aux inputs, one panned left and the other panned right. I then have solo gtr. panned right, but bussed on my aux left channel so that I get that full dry/wet sound. I use this aux (right panned) for all instruments I have panned to the left. I then send all instruments that I have panned left to the right panned aux. Dig??
Then...

For vocals I create a stereo aux so that I get the stereo verb on the vocal.

Am I doing this "right"?
Old 03-05-2001, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Aux Channels for Effects

What you're doing works....but is not necessarily the traditional way. I'll run you a traditional lowdown. There are two types of processing--DYNAMICS and TIME BASED. Dynamics include EQ, compression, gating, etc. ime based are verbs, delays, chorus, etc. All dynamics processing should be INSERTED, so that the entire signal is effected. All time based should utilize the aux send and return setup. It is important to understand that an auxiliary is a SPLIT. Auxiliaries and busses are two different things. In Pro Tools, however, the internal "busses" carry out both the fuctions of busses and auxiliaries. Traditional mixers have dedicated busses and dedicated auxiliaries. When you set an output of a track to a buss in PT, you are infact bussing that signal. When you go upto the sends, you are using the busses as auxiliaries. Remember, and aux is a SPLIT. Whether an aux is PRE FADER or POST FADER determines where the split comes from. Does it come PRE the fader, maintaining INDEPENDENCE, or POST the fader, gaining DEPENDENCE. Post fader sends are always used with Time based FX. Why?? Because of the dependance upon the fader of the original signal. You might work for 5 minutes to get that dry snare blended with your verb perfectly, so when you turn the dry fader down, you want the verb to come down with it. It is very important that your auxiliary FX are 100 PERCENT WET!!!! You shouldn't have to make two mono aux inputs, just to pan some things to the left or right. The only reason to have more than one aux is if you want more than one effect. For example, if you want a long fat verb on the guitars, that's one stereo aux input. If the vox need a short sweet verb, that's another stereo aux input. When you make your SEND to each verb, make a stereo buss send and choose POST for your split. You can then pan your SPLIT to go wherever you want it to go, Left or Right, and that's what channel the verb will come out of. Make sure your sends match the busses of your aux channel's input. It sounds to me that you are using your time based stuff as inserts. It'll work, but it's gonna eat up power quick, and it's just not Pro.