Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2001, 05:04 PM

Default Sony DigiBeta with machine control ?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone use a digibeta (DVW-500 PAL) with machine control and ProControl ?
I find it almost imposible to 'scrub' the tape (5 turns to get to the next frame is not realy professional...) and the 'shuttle' function is way too sensitive (up to +50 speed is too much for shuttle).
Is there a way to change all this ?
In the MC setup I only find 'generic' as machine id, is this normal ?
Also in the track arming display there are eight tracks, but i have to arm 5-8 to arm tracks 1-4 on the beta. This is not a good sign, is it ?

[This message has been edited by sonicsam (edited February 26, 2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Sony DigiBeta with machine control ?

I control DVW-500 (NTSC) using MC and have a HUI control surface . I have never been impressed with or felt inclined to use the shuttle/scrub wheel on my HUI. Wasted real estate on my mixer. In the MC setup I always see DVW-500 pop up when connected to a 500. I get generic when I am connected to a player only. Having to record arm tracks 5-8 before 1-4 isn't right. I would turn all machines off and reconnect. Then if that doesn't work reinstall Machine Control (make sure it's the latest version). I don't know if the problems that you are experiencing are related to a PAL system but I suspect it is something else. I hope this helps somehow, I'm not tech support but my system works (today) . Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 02-28-2001, 12:57 AM

Hi sonicsam,

we have 2 PC with DVW´s and have the same problems with cueing. But i think to hit track 5-8 is normal, cause there are more tracks on an digi as a beta sp. It´s an RS 422 problem. For the lame scrubbing reason we use the front panel of the digi near the pc.

Jochen
Old 03-03-2001, 05:51 AM

Hi all,

Just got an answer from digi that most of my problems with MC and the digiBeta 500 P will be solved with the new 5.1 software, apparently MC has been revised too...
We'll see when the upgrade arrives