Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Guitar recording perfectionism

Can I relate? Oh God Yes. I've been waaay too much of a perfectionist over the years. But what I've learned is that much depends on the nature of the track as to how I might attack any edits/retakes.

Many times, if I'm just creating a demo to show a song to the worship team, for example, I'll record the bass g over one chorus and one verse and then just fly the rest of the part.

Or if I'm recording an acoustic guitar demo, I'll definitely record until I get a take that I like. Depending on the complexity and the nuances I want to convey, I might fly some of the verses or choruses.

Regardless if it's a demo or not, I like to punch in when I can. That's a heck of alot easier when recording electric g or bass g because of room acoustics. Easier when recording mono vs stereo.

All in all, I've learned to take myself alot less seriously My whole take is that unless the recorded part is a distraction, but it's good, then I need to let it stay. It also depends on where it's going to be in the mix.

But, Suddenly Clear, I hear what you're saying: I hate that extra noise I've created at the end and it makes me want to do it all over again sometimes! But if the rest of the take was spot on, then I'll just punch in the tag or whatever.

For clients, well, that's often another issue, but some of the rules will still apply.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM

First takes are always the most inspired, sometimes they are irreplaceable. After getting that first take is just a matter of punching in to fix the flaws in the performance. When working on my own songs I like to let a few days pass to get used to the ideas, then try a new take from scratch that often comes more natural and loose.

When the work is for a customer then you need to take all your energy to finish in time with the same quality and inspiration. Specially when not in your own studio.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 PM

My user name says it all.