Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2023, 12:40 AM

Default Vidéo Satellite—How accurate the sync?

For those of you who have / have used a video satellite system—ie a Media Composer workstation running in sync with a ProTools workstation—how accurate is the sync? Is the offset consistent?
Old 04-04-2023, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Vidéo Satellite—How accurate the sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue_gal View Post
For those of you who have / have used a video satellite system—ie a Media Composer workstation running in sync with a ProTools workstation—how accurate is the sync? Is the offset consistent?
If you’re running Satellite with a sync peripherals such as SyncHD or Sync X then it will be sample accurate consistently.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements
Old 04-04-2023, 07:25 PM

Do you have experience specifically running Media Composer in sync with PT via video satellite?
Old 04-04-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Do you have experience specifically running Media Composer in sync with PT via video satellite?
Years ago, yes. When the concept first came out from Avid to run Media Composer via Satellite with Pro Tools. Now I think it’s more common to just run the video inside Pro Tools. Since video hardware has become less expensive and CPU’s more powerful. The Satellite Sync with Pro Tools and Media Composer was an offering when Avid would utilize the video hardware from the Media Composer system.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:21 AM

Yes we did it years ago also. Provided everything is set up correctly then its sample accurate. We moved to just using a pro tools system in recent years as it was overkill to be using a full media Composer licence on video playback. Its also much simpler to use as you don't need MC knowledge to get it working!
Old 04-05-2023, 04:04 AM

Thanks, guys!

I have zero doubt the PT or Video Satellite LE (that uses a PT system to run the video) are in sample accurate sync, but there’s two things that are giving me pause.

1 is that on the AVID website it states, “faster lock than 9-pin for tighter responsiveness when scrubbing and shuttling”—if we’re talking near-sample accurate / the same accuracy as the PT satellite workstations, why are they not mentioning that and stating instead that the system beats 9-pin?

On the MOTU website it states, “Frame accurate sync is a form of synchronization where two signals are locked within one quarter frame. This means that at a frame rate of 30 frames per second events starting on the same frame will always be locked within 8.5 milliseconds of each other.”

I’ve left a message for AVID inquiring whether they could provide me with some hard numbers, so no doubt I’ll soon get a definitive answer :)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:16 AM

Perhaps if you explained your concern and need for this workflow, we could provide you with some reassurance.

If using Satellite Sync properly provided poor sync I’m sure you would have heard about it.

Also, getting some dedicated video hardware (Blackmagic, Aja) that is locked to a video reference signal will also get you frame accurate sync directly out of Pro Tools. No need for a completely separate machine, license, and media composer.

Lastly, why are you looking on the MOTU website for info on Satellite Sync? Are you using a MOTU interface? Satellite LE is not the same as Satellite Link.

See this document.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...atellite-Guide

As stated before, Satellite Link is sample accurate with the correct hardware.

Please provide some details of your systems and goals and someone here can provide you with some reassuring answers.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:56 AM

If you don’t like MOTU’s definition of frame-accurate, why don’t you find me someone else’s that you like better?

And if you’re going to send users to go look at articles that one would assume they’d likely already read before taking the time to post a question, please make sure there’s actually new information supporting your argument. Now, if I’m missing something, I’d be happy to stand corrected—is there somewhere in the documentation that it’s made clear exactly what degree of sync I could expect when running ProTools in sync with Media Composer? “Better than 9-pin” isn’t cutting it for me, if I’m going to be spending time and money setting up an HD system for the sole purpose of doing this.

I don’t know why you keep reiterating that Satellite Link provides sample-accurate sync. The discussion is about Video Satellite.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:13 AM

Video satellite uses satellite link to function that is the point he is making. Also "better than 9 pin" is referring to scrubbing and shuttling not regular playback.
Fyi getting snarky with forum members who are trying to help you is not a good look. He is seeking more info from you in order to properly answer your question
Old 04-06-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
If you don’t like MOTU’s definition of frame-accurate, why don’t you find me someone else’s that you like better?
I never said I didn’t like it. That’s your assumption. I was merely curious as to why you would source a third party manufacturer for an Avid product.

Quote:
And if you’re going to send users to go look at articles that one would assume they’d likely already read before taking the time to post a question, please make sure there’s actually new information supporting your argument.
How could I possibly know what you have read or not read? Providing you links to source material is solely for your benefit, not mine.

Quote:
Now, if I’m missing something, I’d be happy to stand corrected—is there somewhere in the documentation that it’s made clear exactly what degree of sync I could expect when running ProTools in sync with Media Composer? “Better than 9-pin” isn’t cutting it for me, if I’m going to be spending time and money setting up an HD system for the sole purpose of doing this.
Sync accuracy depends on many variables. Not just whether or not you’re using Video Satellite. You’re seeking an answer to a question that invariably doesn’t matter since any video hardware and monitors will inevitably introduce varying degrees of sync offsets which will need to be compensated for.

Quote:
I don’t know why you keep reiterating that Satellite Link provides sample-accurate sync. The discussion is about Video Satellite.
Whether using a Satellite Pro Tools HD system for video output or a Media Composer Video Satellite makes little difference. The technology used to link the two is Satellite Link.

Lastly, this.

Quote:
Fyi getting snarky with forum members who are trying to help you is not a good look. He is seeking more info from you in order to properly answer your question
Good luck to you. I hope you find what you’re looking for.