Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Default Please Help: split a stereo audio track + extract a sample & stretch the tempo.

First of all, I'm using Pro Tools LE on a Windows XP with an MBox 2.

I took The Beatles's song "All You Need Is Love" & placed it in a Stereo Audio Track. The left (or top) side of the track plays the chorus while the right (or bottom) side of the track plays background violin. How do i cut out the right/bottom side (violins) from the track? All i want to hear is the left/top side (chorus) of the track.

My second dilemma is this: after i separate the two sides, i want to use the first part of the song where all they sing is "Love, love, love" as a sample in my own song. But it seems that the tempo of The Beatles's song is a bit slower than my song. How do I accurately cut out the sample & stretch the tempo to match my own?

All help would be deeply appreciated.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Please Help: split a stereo audio track + extract a sample & stretch the tempo.

This probably belongs in the General discussion section, but since I'm here, here's some guidance. Select the stereo track go to the track drop-down menu and choose Split to Mono. Now you will have separate mono track for each side(which can both be panned to the middle if you like). If you know the tempo for your destination(your new song), set that tempo now and enable GRID mode. drag the region so the front of it snaps to the grid on the first bar of any measure(like 4/1/000). So now the region starts on the downbeat; highlight from the beginning of the region and drag past so you have highlighted beyond your desired length, and consolidate. Next, enable polyphonic Elastic audio and choose to view WARP markers. Now decide how long you want it(1 bar, 4 bars, whatever) and place a WARP marker at the end of your loop and then drag it to the proper grid line for the desired length. Trim off the excess(blank) from the consolidation and your new region SHOULD loop fine(you may need to fine tune the wave by zooming way in and adjusting the cut. I know this sounds complicated(and there may be an easier way to do it), but it will work(or maybe make you think of an easier way. Good luck

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Please Help: split a stereo audio track + extract a sample & stretch the tempo.

Be aware of copyright issues when using part of someone else's material like that without permission. If you're just doing it for fun and practice, that's one thing. But if you use it to make recordings that you will distribute, put up on youtube, etc., you can get into some serious trouble.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM

I have always just dragged any stereo file to two mono tracks to split them up...
I usually have a few mono tracks in the session anyways. Just make sure they are next to each other.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM

sorry albee, i couldn't figure out how to delete the post