Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Hardware Exchange Question

On the exchange pricing list it shows that HD systems must be done through local dealers. If I want to go from 001 to 002 do i have to do it locally? I ask b/c the nearest authorized local dealer is an hour away.

Thanks
Micah
Old 08-31-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Hardware Exchange Question

I called Digidesign about 2 weeks ago about this, here's what they said.
You have to go to an Authorized dealer and buy the unit you want to
upgrade to. For me Its DIGI001 to DIGI002R.
They said the dealer will sell you the new 002R at the MSRP of 795.00
{which is the cost of an upgrade}
Which may be less then that or it may not be depending on the dealer.
They then said you have 1 month to turn in the DIGI001 to that dealer.
It sounds insane to me, but thats what they said.
If someone was dishonest, you would think they could buy a new 002R
at a cheaper price then it's supposed to be.
Then never return the DIGI001. That why it sounds insane to me.
ProTools LE 10 on Windows 7 64 Bit
Old 08-31-2003, 09:24 PM

No - your credit card will be billed the balance if you don't return your 001 within the specified time.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-31-2003, 10:36 PM

Guitar Center is not honoring the Digi hardware exchange as published in the Digidesign online flyer.

Last Friday (08/29/03), I went to our local Guitar Center, in La Mesa, CA, which is an authorized Digidesign dealer. I told the rep in the Pro Audio department that I would be interested in the hardware exchange from a Digi 001 to the 002. They said that they would sell me an 002 for their regular price, but that I would have to deal with Digidesign directly for the exchange allowance and turn-in of the 001. What the?!?

I showed the rep that the Digidesign online flyer (which I had printed out and brought with me) said that they would sell me the 002 for the exchange price of $1,595, and then I would turn in the 001 when I pick up the 002. He said, sorry, but they had gotten an email (presumably from Guitar Center regional corporate) instructing them that that they won't accept the customer's old Digidesign hardware.

Anybody know of another Digidesign dealer that WILL do the deal as advertised?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 09-01-2003, 04:42 AM

Hello. Dbrunell I don't know if Guitar Center is a franchise thing, because here in Dallas they are honoring them. TriAxis to clear something up from your post. Once your exchange item arrives you have one month to return your old hardware to Digidesign, not the dealer. Important distinction. Also, as Rail Jon Rogut pointed out, if you don't do it in that month's time they will send da bAsStArD over to your place and have him move in with the triplets until you do send it back.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 AM

I just did the Hardware Exchange at my local Guitar Center, but I didn't have to jump thru some hoops. First of all no one there knew about the exchange program, and they spent an hour on the phone with Digidesign to get all the details. When they told me that I'd have to wait 2 weeks for Digi to send a 002r to Guitar Center, which I paid for the day I wanted to do the exchange, I was a bit bummed. My 002r will be in this Thursday, and I'm psyched. I guess the $400 trade-in that Digi is doing is worth the 2 week wait. And now that I see that they are including the new software bundles on all Pro Tools systems, I'm blown away. I've wanted Amplitube and now I get a semi-functional version of it. T-Rack and Sampletank will be sweet too. I've been using a Pod Pro mainly to get ideas into Pro Tools without setting up and micing my guitar rack, so having Amplitube will be alot better. Less wires and with just my 002r and a laptop I'll have access to basic distorted and clean tones. Anyway, to bring the story back around....my Guitar Center did the hardware exchange, but thye had to be "forced" into it. I think it sucks that I have to ship my 001 back, but oh well. Later.
1x512MB 2700 DDR RAM
40GB 7200rpm system drive
60GB w/8MB buffer 7200rpm
ATI Radeon VE 32MB dual display
Old 09-01-2003, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the information- what I'm curious about is the $400 trade-in you mentioned. Does Digidesign send you a check for the amount? And how did they come up with the figure of $400?

What exactly do you have to return? The I/O box, cable, and PCI card? Or are they looking for all the software, too? The "Getting Started" manual?

They seem to be making the transaction more difficult than it needs to be. If we're dealing with Digidesign directly for the hardware return, why go through an "authorized dealer" to special order the upgrade hardware, anyway? Why not just order the 002 from Digidesign for the upgrade price, and then have the 30 days to turn in your old hardware? OR, if Digi is concerned that some folks won't turn in their old hardware, they could wait until they receive your 001 before shipping the 002.

Yes, I'll probably be calling up Digidesign Customer Service on Tuesday. I'm wondering how they are going to work it so that I get the 002 for $1,595 + my 001.

db
Old 09-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Avid

Hi folks,

There's been some confusion and small changes to the way the Digi 002/Digi 002 Rack Hardware Exchange works, so here's the scoop:

Hardware Exchanges do not involve any type of rebate- they never have. Registered owners of Digi 001, Mbox, and Digi ToolBox/Audiomedia III can Special Order a Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack Hardware Exchange from their authorized Digidesign Dealer at the exchange price.

The retail prices of the exchanges can be found here:

http://www.digidesign.com/exchange/002_price.cfm

Once you have received your new system, you will have 30 days to return your old gear to Digidesign. Shortly after getting your new system, you will receive a letter from Digidesign at your registered address that provides an RA number, return shipping address, and our UPS account number so that you can send back your previous system to us at no cost.

Contrary to some earlier information you may have seen, you do not have to give your old system to your dealer when you pick up your new Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack. As mentioned above, however, it will be your responsibility to return your old system to Digidesign within 30 days of receiving your new one.

And yes- Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack Hardware Exchanges DO include the recently announced plug-in promotion. Anyone who purchased an exchange on or after August 1, 2003, and registers their system by September 30, 2003 will also receive this promotion. It will be sent to them automatically once they have registered.

If you have any questions about the Digi 002/Digi 002 Rack Hardware Exchange, to get RA and return shipping information, or if your dealer doesn't have this information, you (or your dealer) can contact Digidesign Telesales in North and South America at 1-888-636-3444 or 650-731-6100.

Customers in other parts of the world should contact their local Digidesign office:

http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/contact/
Old 09-01-2003, 08:49 PM

ProdInfo, thanks for the clarification!

I'm still wondering, though, exactly what we have to ship back to Digidesign, as I asked in a previous post. Some items in the original package might have gotten misplaced, such as the authorization diskette for D-Verb. What are the minimum items, from my 001 package, Digidesign will accept for the hardware exchange? Is the condition of the returned 001 a consideration? What if it's DOA?

Doug
Old 09-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Avid

Hi Doug,

At a minimum, we expect the Digi 001 audio interface box and PCI card back. The unit you are returning to us should be the same system you are registered for. If you have any more specific questions, please give us a call at 1-888-636-3444.

Thanks,