How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Problems with Superior Drummer 2.3.2

Every time I use SD2 on PT11 it will either freeze my computer requiring a hard reboot, or PT will just vanish.

This happens only when editing midi and having play note while editing.

If I program in PT10 and let it play in 11 I have less issues.

I contacted Toontrack, and they said it was AVIDS problem as they can not repro, but I have talked to a few others who are also having this issue.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour with SD2?

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Problems with Superior Drummer 2.3.2

Terrible experience with this update myself. No chance of getting a successful instantiation, done all the library updates as they suggested and still no dice. Can't say whether I'm able to reproduce your issue with editing as I've never made it that far.

Makes me miss programming drums in matrix editor on logic 6 with DFH.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Be more specific on your system n plugs..

I've been using SD2 NY2 and offline bouncing for several tracks without issue.
I did however crash once after a bounce during deactivation but this deactivation issue has also affected other VI's on only seems to happen (not very often)
after a fair amount of editing-
As soon as I think I've pinpointed to offending plug-in and remove from the system folders this type of crash would happen again.

My feeling it's something else.
I currently am leaving dynamic-CPU un-ticked to see if this still happens.
1-2 times a week and I am in session 6-10hrs/day
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

I'm not having these issues. My setup is in my sig. I just dl'd the update and installed. Could it be possibly one of the alternate kits? I typically use the Avatar or Hit Factory kits, but occasionally I'll use a Vintage kit. Just trying to give some info on what seems to be working.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
Every time I use SD2 on PT11 it will either freeze my computer requiring a hard reboot, or PT will just vanish.

This happens only when editing midi and having play note while editing.

If I program in PT10 and let it play in 11 I have less issues.

I contacted Toontrack, and they said it was AVIDS problem as they can not repro, but I have talked to a few others who are also having this issue.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour with SD2?
I see this Kris, as well as crashing on bounce and various other instabilities. I hope they take another look at this. I seems to span all of their AAX2 products.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Strange. Nearly no issues with Superior 2 here (I rarely use SL-Avatar but use Legacy S1, SL-CVII, and EZX Jazz, Claustrophobic, Nashville and Funkmasters).

"Nearly" is because :
- 1/ I get an (big) issue when checking "Mono All Channels" in Superior2 SETTINGS Menu.
According to Toontrack support, this option SHOULD NOT even exist in PT (in AAX version) and will certainly be removed in a next release (not relevant for PT). So always leave this option unchecked.
But the issue is a different one, as it makes PT11 to crash at launch (so cannot use PT11 at all !!!, you must uncheck this option with either PT10 or another host like Toontrack Solo to get back to normal).

- 2/ I had some crashes after bounce (online or offline) when I choose importing file to clip list.
When you manually drag n drop bounced clip to an audio track and hit "Play" a crash occurs after 1 or 2 seconds.
But I had this issue only on 1 session and only if bounced clip was dragged at the end of the track (= is the last clip of the track). So very specific, and cannot be reproduced yet.

Otherwise, all is great including bounce offline (PT11 Bounce & Superior2 Bounce), MIDI editing and recording, live playing with a keyboard, MIDI groove drag 'n' drop, import presets (.S20 files, from PC), etc...

I also tried to load up to 2GB samples into RAM -> no crash.

Maybe some of these infos can help somebody (or not ).
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I am running Win7 on an i7 920 with 12 gigs of ram. I am using the Metal Foundry when this happens. Ez Keys seems to be ok so far for me.

I sure hope it gets solved because working in PT10 is getting a little old

Kris
May the music move you
Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but I've been having the same sort of problem. I'm using a 2.7 GHz iMac i7 w/16 GB of RAM. I have Pro Tools 11 and Superior 2.3.2, and my kit has a mix of the Avatar (NY Vol.2) and Metal Foundry libraries. I'm using discrete outs from SD2 into Pro Tools auxes.

Pro Tools just quits and disappears. I've tried removing all other plug-ins and most of the time there is no change. Sometimes removing say, a reverb, will keep it running for a while but it'll eventually quit. This makes me wonder if it's a RAM issue.

I thought I had it narrowed down -- it seems like making a selection and then hitting play is the culprit. If I don't make a selection, it will play an entire 15 minute MIDI recording.

Then I noticed it would also crash if I put the SD2 instrument track in REC-ready and started playing from my e-drums.

Pretty frustrating. When I heard about the 4GB RAM limitation being lifted in PT 11, I jumped in and bought SD2. I'm sure they'll figure out -- just hope it's soon.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Anyone find the answer to this? It's crashing Pro Tools 11.1 when I insert the plugin on a instrument track and then remove it….bam pro tools crashes.
NOTHING on Superior Drummers site.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM

I never had that specific problem, but I'll update mine:

I did A LOT of testing, and emailed back and forth with Toontrack. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just taxing the computer too much. It could be that the AAX 64-bit version for PT11 isn't as efficient as it should be, because the problem is much worse in 11 than in 10.

I've created custom kits using multiple libraries (via "x-drums"). When you add all the bleed channels to those extra drums, you end up with a pretty massive kit (compared to the stock kits, anyway). I can watch the CPU activity monitor start to skyrocket when I load one of these custom kits and play a lot of notes (either live or MIDI playback).

I guess until it's more (efficient?) I'll have to go with a more sparse kit. I don't know if accessing other libraries is part of the problem - maybe some bugginess there? I was hoping the promise of Pro Tools 11 not having a 4GB RAM limitation would making these kinds of issues moot.

As for your issue, have you tried launching Toontrack SOLO and toggling "mono all channels" to OFF. That's the big obvious bug people were running into. Other than that, here is some info they sent me regarding using less resources:

"Superior has a couple features you can use to limit the amount of computer memory the software is demanding.
You can use the "clear" function on the bottom left of the plugin to clear the loaded samples.

Toggling 16 bit will load the samples in 16 bit as opposed to 24 bit (all SDX libraries are 24 bit). 16 bit samples do not offer the dynamic range of 24 bit samples, so there is a small tradeoff in the quality of the samples.

Cache mode will only load in the samples you actually need. Most of the samples of the library are loaded by default."