Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Default ProTools Upgrade Snafu

I'm writing to express dissatisfaction: A few weeks ago, I started looking into upgrading to PT 9. It was only recently that Avid released a Lion-ready version, and I figured it was time to take the plunge.

Well, by the time I got around to buying ProTools 9, 10 had been released. But I didn't know, and so I bought 9 anyway. And today I called Avid to find out how I would get the new upgrade. Instead, I learned that Avid will only grandfather in a handful of PT 9 crossgraders, and that I would now have to buy PT 10 cross grade, which is another $300.

This seems to me to be particularly unfair, and I wish Avid would make an exception for the tiny number of us who have been caught in the in between on this upgrade.

As I explained to the tech support guy who I spoke with, I have been a loyal PT user for over a decade. I have extolled the quality of PT (and extended PT goodwill) to countless audio producers. One of the things I've always told young producers is that the folks who make PT are worth investing in, because they give extra value to the customer over the long haul, and don't make moves to rip customers off.

Digidesign never treated us as expendable customers.

If there is anyone at Avid who cares: It is wrong to treat your customers this way. It seem like you don't care about us little guys anymore. Please, someone at customer service, reach out to us and show us that we matter to you. Grandfather us in.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Re: ProTools Upgrade Snafu

I'm upgrading as we speak. I recently upgraded too to 9. Now another upgrade for big buks. Ya know what rhythms with buks?

you'll never get a customer loyalty token from Avid.

oops! There goes my blood pressure.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
velvettone

I just bought a boxed version of ProTools 9, less than a week ago, and, to my surprise, I got an e-mail for a complimentary version of ProTools 10. Maybe they are just being strange about the crossgrades, and not the full boxed versions. I would press the issue, if I were you.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM

If you read the terms of the upgrade in the FAQ; http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=419131 you'll see that the LE or MP to 9 crossgrades were only eligible for the free 10 crossgrade from the 1st to the 20th October, it's only the full version or as part of a hardware bundle that has an indefinite after 1st Oct date.

I'm trying to find out whether I can upgrade from PT LE 7.4 which I bought last before switching to a cheaper alternative, to 10, I may stick to the non-leading brand if I have to buy the full version.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM

You can upgrade from any LE version. But it's only $100 less than buying the full version. Depending on your I/O needs, you might look at getting one of the new Mboxes or Eleven Rack bundled with PT9 for not much more, which will give you the free upgrade to 10.