Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Need Help. Blank spaces in drop-down menus.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix it? These spaces stay blank until I mouse over them and only then does the space pop up and become selectable. This goes for every dropdown menu, I/O, Inserts, Sends. WTF?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.53.51 PM.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.53.39 PM.png (27.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Need Help. Blank spaces in drop-down menus.

Good advice here is to search for things before you post a question about something... like in this case a Pro Tools/OS combination that is not supported, known to be broken and won't be fixed and well discussed all over DUC already. We just don't need another thread on this.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-23-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM

Yes this question has been asked hundreds of times so here is the answer again:

There are two main issues with Protools 10 and Yosemite which is why it is not on the compatibility list.

Protools 10 will not install on Yosemite under normal conditions because the installer sees OSX 10.10 as 10.1 (the zero is truncated). Some folks have tricked the OS to look like 10.9 or earlier to get it to install. The uninstaller also does not work with Mavericks or Yosemite.

The drop down menus do not appear until you mouse over the entry. This is a known problem with running Protools 10.x on OSX 10.10.x (Yosemite). This will not be fixed as Avid will not work on Protools 10 to make it compatible with anything beyond Mountain Lion. Your options are:
1. Revert back to a previous supported operating system like Mountain Lion
2. Upgrade to Protools 11 or 12 which works with Yosemite
3. Switch to another DAW that works on Yosemite

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Obsidian, wouldn't it have been easier to just not answer the post at all than to go through all this effort to make a snide remark. I have been having the same problem and THIS post (thankfully) answered my question. Kind of bad for Avid to force me into pro tools 11 where all my plug-ins don't work :/
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
This will not be fixed as Avid will not work on Protools 10 to make it compatible with anything beyond Mountain Lion.
I really don't understand other users advocating for Avid in this case. It's not like their sources wouldn't compile for 10.10 or something. Just need one single developer to own this problem for a day. If only marketing could see the light of doing the right thing when it's least expected.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintusmaximus View Post

Kind of bad for Avid to force me into pro tools 11 where all my plug-ins don't work :/
Force? Who forced you to change your operating system to one that doesn't work with your software?

You're upset that Avid isn't updating version 10? Seriously, what supplier continues to update software two versions old?

It's only $200 for a current version. That's not even $10 for each month you've used version 10.

I'm the LAST person to speak in defense of Avid, but I think it's important to keep our complaints realistic. Yours isn't, IMHO.

Last edited by V5V; 08-29-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
I really don't understand other users advocating for Avid in this case. It's not like their sources wouldn't compile for 10.10 or something. Just need one single developer to own this problem for a day. If only marketing could see the light of doing the right thing when it's least expected.
It's one thing to want something, it's another to claim you know what it would take to do something technical like continuing to support Pro Tools 10 on new OS X releases.

You don't work in software development do you?

How do you know whether the Pro Tools 10 code base as is will even compile/build and run cleanly on any recent version of OS X?.. and many compatibility issues won't be just fixed by recompiling existing code.

Do you have any idea how much effort it might be to run QA on a release even if it did compile/build OK? How many man months? Man years?

Deciding to do long term support for Pro Tools 10 is obviously a significant decision, one Avid made the decision to not continue supporting. That is their call, they made it, it's been well communicated and well... you get to live with it. Which includes needing to know what is/is not supported or has well known issues, before doing any upgrades.

There are lots of other DAWs out there and if you disagree with Avid's policies then the best thing you can probably do is to switch DAWs.... my personal plan is to give Avid as little of my money as possible, and hope that whoever ends up owning Pro Tools in future does a better job than they have been doing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-28-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You don't work in software development do you
I do.

Quote:
How do you know whether the Pro Tools 10 code base as is will even compile/build and run cleanly on any recent version of OS X?.. and any compatibility issues are unlikely to be just fixed by recompiling existing code.
You don't work in software development, do you?

Quote:
Deciding to do long term support for Pro Tools 10 is obviously a significant decision, one Avid made the decision to not continue supporting.
I'm not suggesting they should support PT on 10.10 or search and fix "any compatibility issues". I'm suggesting a developer looks at this one showstopper and, if it's a quick fix, builds a courtesy bugfix update with the clear indication that the update fixes this one single issue, and PT10 on 10.10 is still not supported. They can even leave the p.o.s installer as it is, as people clearly bypass the OS check.

Quote:
There are lots of other DAWs out there and if you disagree with Avid's policies then the best thing you can probably do is to switch DAWs....
One does not simply switch DAWs in the field of sound post-production..

Quote:
My personal plan is to give Avid as little of my money as possible, and hope that whoever ends up owning Pro Tools in future does a better job than they have been doing.
There's no point in us arguing over something you yourself wish Avid would do differently. We're on the same side.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
One does not simply switch DAWs in the field of sound post-production..
One does not upgrade operating systems in the middle of anything either...
Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
One does not upgrade operating systems in the middle of anything either...
yeah, this one is funny because once Apple upgrade your other DAW, or for some reason your machine develops issues and you have to change it, and you can't get osx 10.9 on the new one because its chipset is too new, this is when the whole scenario plays out. I'm on 10.9 for now (unsupported and PT10 runs just fine) but the next update to Logic X will probably bring this change about. The pressure to upgrade to 10.10 comes from many directions Avid choose to keep outside their field of view. Do take others' circumstances into account.