Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Weird. Really weird.

Hey all. This is my first post on these boards. Came here looking for help after buying this 002 system.

Little background; been producing/writing for 9 years. Use PT HD in my studio on 2 G-5's. I wanted to be able to have access to some kind of system if I felt inspired to write without having to drive to my office so I bought a G-4 laptop and 002.

Anyway while putting this little pre-production rig together at home I bought a Maxtor 200GB Firewire/USB 2.0 HD and plugged it in. I reformatted the drive and called it "Audio". I tried to open a new session on the new drive but keep getting this weird error message when trying to save it: something about "cannot save to a drive that's not an audio record volume" or something like that. After tyring to open existing projects (from the new drive after copying them over) and not being able to play back any audio tracks I thought my new drive was bad. After re-formatting it at least 10 times, one time I just reformatted it and forgot to name it so it was given the default name "Untitled". It worked at that point! So I just re-named it "Audio" again. It didn't work again! LOL So I re-formatted the drive yet again but called it "Pro Tools" this time and it works fine.

As crazy as this sounds, I don't think you can name the drive your saving to "Audio"! Maybe it's just specific to my rig but that was definately the reason I was not able to save to that drive. This sounds really crazy to me but hey, whatever. Just wanted to pass on my experience.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Weird. Really weird.

Did you adjust the settings of the drive in the "Workspace" screen ( ?; , or under "Windows")?

If the drive has a "T" in the "A" (Audio) column, it will not work. You will need to change it by clicking on it. Change to either an R (alllows recording and playback) or a P (playback only).
Old 04-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Weird. Really weird.

Na, it was set to 'R'. That was the first thing I checked. That's why this particular instance was so weird? You know in my 9 years of recording in the digital enviornment the one thing that I have learned is to expect the unexpected. As an analog engineer, you must discover what the problem is in order to fix it. In the digital world sometimes the problem will fix itself and you'll never even know what it was and that drives me insain!!!! But what can you do ???