How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Upgrading From HD8 to 10

Hello friends,

I've been out of the game for a while, and now things have changed!! I want to upgrade my PT system to the highest I can go, which I believe is 10, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I have PT HD8 running on a Mac with two 192's. What is the best way to upgrade to 10? Can I go higher?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Upgrading From HD8 to 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveValet View Post
I have PT HD8 running on a Mac with two 192's. What is the best way to upgrade to 10? Can I go higher?
Hi, welcome to the community.

Unfortunately PT8 cannot be upgraded to PT11/12 because hardware of that era isn't supported in the shiny new 64-bit PT software. And more bad news; PT10 upgrade from 7/8 costs a lot.

And for that reason, unless you find a 2nd hand license of PT10HD, or some dealer that still has old stock available, your only really feasible option might be buying a completely new system, which comes with a 10/11/12 license bundle.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 AM

Thanks JFreak. Thanks for the link. That's actually about the cost I was expecting to see.

I did see a couple for sale on the "for sale" section here, but seems very sketchy to spend $800 on a "used" license and not be 100% sure you can get it to work or get support.

Is a used one safe generally? Does Avid recognize this as acceptable?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 AM

AFAIK, currently HD licenses cannot be transfered without Avid approval so it should be safe
Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Just use the TOO and you can transfer HD licenses as long as they aren't upgraded to HD12 or on a plan.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM

My 10/11 HD license bundle in the for sale section can be legitimately transferred to you using the official Avid transfer of ownership process, because it was never tied to hardware. I upgraded my Complete Production Toolkit to HD.

If you go through the official TOO process, you'll end up with the license registered in your Avid account, as well as on your iLok in your iLok account.

That means that, whenever you are ready, in the future, you'll be able to upgrade it to a 10/11/12 HD licnse bndle with a support plan.

By way of contrast, many of the cheaper HD licenses on ebay, for example, explicitly say that you just get an iLok with the license on it. These can never be incorporated into your Avid and iLok accounts and you'll never be able to upgrade them.

You get what you pay for.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
My 10/11 HD license bundle in the for sale section can be legitimately transferred to you using the official Avid transfer of ownership process, because it was never tied to hardware. I upgraded my Complete Production Toolkit to HD.

If you go through the official TOO process, you'll end up with the license registered in your Avid account, as well as on your iLok in your iLok account.

That means that, whenever you are ready, in the future, you'll be able to upgrade it to a 10/11/12 HD licnse bndle with a support plan.

By way of contrast, many of the cheaper HD licenses on ebay, for example, explicitly say that you just get an iLok with the license on it. These can never be incorporated into your Avid and iLok accounts and you'll never be able to upgrade them.

You get what you pay for.
+1 to everyhing Nigel said

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————