Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Re: No future HD upgrades for CPTK special offer

Could it be that they will add some features to the non-HD version to make up for it?

Who knows? But I doubt it.

I'm not trying to be negative but if you read the transcript from last night's "webinar" you'll see that even the Avid staff don't know what the answers are. Lots of contradictions. One person says "yes" to something and the next one says "no."

They claim to be moving up market - insulting all the consumer and prosumer users of their software and equipment - then introduce two interfaces for use with iPads.

Yeah - I'm gonna buy one of those cause I know that Avid loves taking care of it's small time customers. As if.

I run ProTools standalone so I don't really care about the CPTK problem except that it makes it more and more likely that there will be more ProTools turbulence in the future.

And it bugs me that things I consider basic features (upgraded metering) or bug fixes (disc cache) are not being included in ProTools standalone. I'll learn another DAW before I buy an HD native or HDX system. Period.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM

They already have HDX which is a closed system solution but makes sense because the function is dependent on the hardware.
HD is a closed solution and it doesn't seem that many (if any) of the features require the HD hardware.

Without the CPTK there is no software upgrade path for PT11 users.

Looks like they are desperate to leave money on the table.

Stupid, because there are probably more than a few customers that would/could spend another $1000 for additional features that can't or won't put up 3K for an interface they don't need or want.

Avid isn't going to force those customers into HD, they are just leaving money on the table, never mind the ill will.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
Nah, I think (hope!) it's just the guys being put on the spot there & not getting the correct phraseology. I'm pretty sure once you trade in your CPTK license you have the full HD software & can upgrade it as per normal Avid HD software upgrades.

They stated there's only going to be two products, PT11 & PT11HD. If this was a special non-upgradable PT11HD they'd have said so specifically you would have thought; it being a third version of the software in effect.

Whether or not they re-introduce the HD software being tethered to Avid hardware only is another matter entirely though.

TBH this whole issue surrounding the CPTK & where it leaves it's users is a complete clusterf***. They should have had all this info out & available yesterday when they dropped the bomb.

Edit: The 'one time deal' reference to me indicates that this is the one & only time the HD software will be available without buying hardware.
Exactly!!!!!

This makes perfect sense to me. What does not is how Avid is introducing a truly native version to only one segment of their customer base. I undestand they are entitled, do not get me wrong, but I would think that now that it is "technically" possible, they would at the very least consider selling HD software as completely native, for a price of course.