Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Any Network Authenticated Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
No, but I envision us switching to Open Directory soon, if for no other reason than network authentication. I'm not crazy about the portable home directory concept. Is one (network authentication) linked to the other (PHD)?
I am considering taking the Leopard Server (ACTC?) exam. I also have the book for Snow Leopard server, but haven't read it thoroughly yet.
I would imagine you already have an OD in place that is allowing you to use the PHDs. PHDs are simply an account setting with an OD network account. The setting is easily configured in workgroup manager (WGM) via managed preferences (MCX).

Right now we have over 30 courses meeting in 10 different labs each quarter. One of those labs has FCP Studio, Logic, Pro Tools etc. and I think would greatly benefit from using the PHDs. Next fall I think I am going to start there as a first site for using that setup. We just didn't do that originally because it could be a headache with so many users.

Thanks for the feedback here. I am a tech guy first, and when these requests for specialized A/V hardware and software come up I want to support them, I just don't always know the best way. Really appreciate the support here. I will definitely be coming back. Now if anybody has experience creating a pkg for Pro Tools, and remotely pushing it out, I would appreciate that as well
Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoG View Post
Well I got a response from support:

I am going to try to roll back to 8.0 tomorrow and post results.
Rolled back to LE 8 and it worked fine with our network accounts.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Hey Ray,

Thinking about doing this. Do you think a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server can do the trick.

I love the idea of my desktop following me around.

Anyone else successfully doing this?

Laki
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

We have 17 Pro Tools rooms, 3 FCP machines, and 14 client web machines running from Open Directory/LDAP Xservers, all Home directory served. Low band Quicktime video from Raid 50 arrays over fiber channel, and audio is hosted over either single or multi-spanned FW 800 local drives.
PT v8 seems better adapted at network use. PT v7.4x is a little more quirky, but still not much of a problem. We've been running this configuration for 4 years now. No other way to deal with 50-60 user on different workstations in different suites. Up side, when a local machine dies, I'm not having to restore user pref's and app. configurations, its all on the user raid volume.

Engineering - LA Studios
Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Hey Ray,

Thinking about doing this. Do you think a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server can do the trick.

I love the idea of my desktop following me around.

Anyone else successfully doing this?

Laki
I don't see why you couldn't. We have XServers but the OS is the same. Snow Leopard Server and Leopard clients. (Avid Media Composers are SL however)
Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks Fellas! I'll let you know how I make out.

Steve, say hi to Jesse M. for me. I believe he's still over there.

-Laki
Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Leki

We recently installed a Mac Mini Server, which is available now with SL Server OS installed, two Sata drives. It's nice as long as the demands are kept to a reasonable level, its not an Xserve. I noticed that login times are sluggish, and was told by Apple support there maybe a bug in user lookup table. Also the system scans for services, even though they are not currently running. This will probably get addressed soon, since Apple has acknowledged it. I've used them also as server mirrors to redirect Win server FS to Apple guest users, allowing them to find file sharing via Bonjour, without the higher level authentication demands for guest users during media dump operations - works great.

LAS - Engineering
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 PM

We'll probably go with the X-serve.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH44 View Post
We have 17 Pro Tools rooms, 3 FCP machines, and 14 client web machines running from Open Directory/LDAP Xservers, all Home directory served. Low band Quicktime video from Raid 50 arrays over fiber channel, and audio is hosted over either single or multi-spanned FW 800 local drives.
PT v8 seems better adapted at network use. PT v7.4x is a little more quirky, but still not much of a problem. We've been running this configuration for 4 years now. No other way to deal with 50-60 user on different workstations in different suites. Up side, when a local machine dies, I'm not having to restore user pref's and app. configurations, its all on the user raid volume.

Engineering - LA Studios
Steve,

I'm about to set this up. PT 8.0.3cs2- 6 studios Network home folders. Anything in particular I should look out for? Most of the studios are running Leopard. I have one that is dual boot with SL. I've heard that setup is easier with SL. I'd rather not have to fresh install all the machines before doing this. (I'd like to test SL a bit further first)

Are there any specific steps? Anything to look out for?

And to confirm, you're NOT using PHD's. All home folders reside on an AFP Sharepoint.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laki

BTW, I went with the Mac mini. Its only purpose will be to run the OD. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 AM

OK, so I got everything set up. All my applications work except for PT!

I guess I'd need to roll back to 8.0 to do this.

Next step is PHD's I guess!