Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 10:33 PM

Default What do you see? 2022.6 and later change to default session open Edit window?

Diving (or belly flopping?) into the minutia of Pro Tools UI windows session open behavior...
I'd really appreciate folks helping me and Avid support out by seeing what session open UI behavior you see with Pro Tools 2022.5 (or earlier) vs. Pro Tools 2022.6 (or later).

[I'm testing/talking about macOS only here but would be curious if folks see a similar change in session UI open behavior at 2022.6 on Windows.]

This is behavior I and I believe some other users have noted: Pro Tools seemed to change the default behavior of opening session windows in Pro Tools 2022.6. If a session is saved with the Edit and Mix windows both closed, then when the session is opened in Pro Tools 2022.5 and earlier Pro Tools automatically opens the Edit window. In Pro Tools 2022.6 and later no window is automatically opened if the session had all windows closed, you only ever see the windows opened that were opened when the session was saved.

Well that's what I believe is happening and is the only behavior I can reproduce, and I've tested on Monterey, on Ventura, with multiple different clean Pro Tools installs etc. I thought this was something that might confuse new users, they could get a Pro Tools session open in some cases and there are no UI Windows and I thought the old behavior of always opening the Edit window was a smart idea. So I filed a support case (04497795) but Avid support have worked on this and cannot reproduce what I'm seeing, and I cannot do anything *but* reproduce it, so I thought I'd throw this open and ask folks here what session open behavior you see when running Pro Tools 2022.5 and earlier or Pro Tools 2022.6 and later.

I've put a video showing what I see at https://youtu.be/23wCQkCCQkc

That video show several examples of Pro Tools 2022.5 always opening a session with at least the Edit window visible when a previously saved session is opened that was saved when no windows were visible. Then with Pro Tools 2022.6 it show the behavior changes so that if a session was saved with no windows visible then it reopens with no windows visible, not even the previous default Edit window.

These tests are on a Intel MBP running Ventura, I saw the same behavior on Monterey, here I have multiple versions of Pro Tools installed for testing but the same behavior was seen in the past when one version of Pro Tools was installed at a time.

Thanks

Darryl
Old 03-24-2023, 01:41 PM

Default Re: What do you see? 2022.6 and later change to default session open Edit window?

It's funny - this bit me just the other day; I opened a session to mix coming in from somewhere else and it was empty! Took me a sec to realize all the windows were closed, and yeah, I don't remember this being a problem before. Anyway, just confirmed that this is how it behaves on 2022.12 at least: If you close all the windows and save it, it opens with no windows visible. I don't have an older version running so can't confirm that it used to *not* do this, but I don't remember running into it before. And yes, I have a feeling this would trip up a beginner.

Hope that helps,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-24-2023, 02:13 PM

Default Re: What do you see? 2022.6 and later change to default session open Edit window?

Thanks Rich, nice to know you see the same on 2022.12 on Apple Silicon. Hopefully others can confirm it was working differently in 2022.5 and before. My main concern was it's just something that is going to confuse new users, and was just an unneeded change.... If indeed it was a change, but like I say no matter how/how many times I test on 2022.5 and earlier vs. later versions I always see the change in behavior while Avid support tells me they can't reproduce this.... they claim to not see older versions automatically opening the Edit window if the session was saved with all windows closed.