Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Please help me understand this upgrade and support plan

So, if I am running Pro Tools 11 | HD and I purchase the support plan for $599 a year, the yearly upgrade is free? If I by it again for Pro Tools 2016 HD for $599 the upgrade is free?

If I buy Pro Tools 11 and I purchase the $199 support plan is the upgrade to PT 12 free? If I by the support plan for Pro Tools 2016 is the upgrade free?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Please help me understand this upgrade and support plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
So, if I am running Pro Tools 11 | HD and I purchase the support plan for $599 a year, the yearly upgrade is free? If I by it again for Pro Tools 2016 HD for $599 the upgrade is free?

If I buy Pro Tools 11 and I purchase the $199 support plan is the upgrade to PT 12 free? If I by the support plan for Pro Tools 2016 is the upgrade free?
Yes, that's the entire point. Pay the support plan, get all the upgrades. Not sure how much more clear they could make it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Yes, that's the entire point. Pay the support plan, get all the upgrades. Not sure how much more clear they could make it.
Ok, thanks, I was just wondering about what seems an ambiguity to me.

from the PT 12 announcement:

Pro Tools software perpetual license—Purchase and own standalone Pro Tools software or upgrade/crossgrade to the latest version. All full software, upgrade, and crossgrade purchases now come with a one-year Avid annual upgrade plan, providing the latest Pro Tools features and upgrades, including Cloud Collaboration and other upcoming features mentioned below, plus access to our Customer Care team for support. Plans must be renewed annually to keep the software current.

Pro Tools system perpetual license—Get Pro Tools software bundled with professional Avid audio hardware by purchasing a complete Pro Tools system such as Pro Tools | HD Native, Pro Tools | HDX, Pro Tools | Duet, Pro Tools | Eleven Rack, or Pro Tools | Mbox Pro. Some systems, such as Pro Tools | Duet and Quartet, include a one-year Avid annual upgrade plan, but others do not. For systems that do not, customers can get access to the latest features and upgrades by purchasing a separate Avid annual upgrade plan.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I was just wondering about what seems an ambiguity to me.

from the PT 12 announcement:

Pro Tools software perpetual license—Purchase and own standalone Pro Tools software or upgrade/crossgrade to the latest version. All full software, upgrade, and crossgrade purchases now come with a one-year Avid annual upgrade plan, providing the latest Pro Tools features and upgrades, including Cloud Collaboration and other upcoming features mentioned below, plus access to our Customer Care team for support. Plans must be renewed annually to keep the software current.

Pro Tools system perpetual license—Get Pro Tools software bundled with professional Avid audio hardware by purchasing a complete Pro Tools system such as Pro Tools | HD Native, Pro Tools | HDX, Pro Tools | Duet, Pro Tools | Eleven Rack, or Pro Tools | Mbox Pro. Some systems, such as Pro Tools | Duet and Quartet, include a one-year Avid annual upgrade plan, but others do not. For systems that do not, customers can get access to the latest features and upgrades by purchasing a separate Avid annual upgrade plan.
There is nothing ambiguous there at all, just read the text carefully. One is talking about a full software purchase (i.e. Unbundled software) or a software crossgrade/upgrade and the other is talking about software bundled with hardware.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:

As long as you continue purchasing the annual license, all upgrades and bug fixes are included. They are free for the year the license is active.

Q. Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A. No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan. If you don’t get on a plan, you will not be able to upgrade your software in the future.

Q: If I buy Pro Tools software, does it include an upgrade/support plan?
A: Yes, as long as you purchase the version of Pro Tools that states "Pro Tools Software with Standard Support".

Q. I get free Pro Tools updates now from Avid. What is the difference in the way that Avid will release updates and upgrades in the future?
A. While we've released no-cost updates to fix technical issues between major releases, "upgrades"—releases that provide new tools and functionality—have always been provided for a fee. With this new model, we can provide new features on a more frequent basis. The new upgrade and support plans give you access to every new feature as soon as it's available, and you get peace of mind knowing that technical support is always available to you.

Pro Tools FAQ: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#2
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.