Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 AM

Default SoundSoap II - TOTAL GARBAGE! Avoid!

Am I asking for so much? All I wanted was a simple piece of software that would clean up some hissy guitar tracks. I bought SoundSoap II and it's been a nightmare ever since. Here's my setup:

Windows XP SP2 - 3.0 ghz
2 x 120 gig Seagate Hard Drives
1 gig RAM
ProTools 6.4
Mbox

Trying to use SSII as a RTAS on a three track song.

If you add SSII as an RTAS on a track the CPU jumps to 100% capacity and stays there. The mouse moves jerkily along the screen. If you try to play back the track with SSII you get errors telling you to decrease your HW buffer size. If you decrease it you get errors telling you to increase it. If you succeed in bouncing the track to disk, when you re-import the noise reduction is missing on the track.

Using SSII as an Audio Suite doesn't work. You sample a small bit of noise, tell it to process the entire track... nothing, no noise reduction.

Avoid avoid avoid. $85 down the toilet. I can't believe Digidesign is endorsing this piece of garbage.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: SoundSoap II - TOTAL GARBAGE! Avoid!

I've been using SoundSoap One for a year & a half with no problems whatsoever. I'm not fond of having to import & export to Soundforge to apply the treatment, but it works really well for me.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:49 AM

I felt the same way about DFH2 (Digi is not endorsing it, however). It was $99 down the toilet. The BOX says it is Windows/RTAS compatible, but the web site says it is not, but that "Digidesign is aware of the issue and they are working on it". Well, they must still be working because I haven't gotten it working yet.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 PM

I've found that the Waves Restoration tools do a great job at what you're describing. Perhaps try the demo and see if these will work better for you... The cost is certainly justified by the time / frustration you'll save...

Good luck...
www.voodoopilot.com