Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Using an ADAT as a converter

Hey all,
I am currently in the planning stages for putting together an LE based studio. Is it possible to use a physical ADAT machine as a A/D and D/A converter? The signal flow would be something like... external pre ----> Adat analog in -------> ADAT light pipe out ------> Digi 002R lightpipe in -----> 002R lightpipe out -----> Adat lightpipe in ------> Adat analog out ------> Mixer. I am guessing the ADAT would need to be loaded up and record enabled to pass signal through etc. Would there be any latency issues to deal with? The reason I am interested in doing it this way is because I would also like to have an ADAT to take with me to live gigs to record and not have to worry about computers. Let me know if there are any flaws in the plan. I am not too familiar with ADATs so let me know if I am assuming they do things they actually dont!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Using an ADAT as a converter

Quote:
Hey all,
I am currently in the planning stages for putting together an LE based studio. Is it possible to use a physical ADAT machine as a A/D and D/A converter? The signal flow would be something like... external pre ----> Adat analog in -------> ADAT light pipe out ------> Digi 002R lightpipe in -----> 002R lightpipe out -----> Adat lightpipe in ------> Adat analog out ------> Mixer. I am guessing the ADAT would need to be loaded up and record enabled to pass signal through etc. Would there be any latency issues to deal with? The reason I am interested in doing it this way is because I would also like to have an ADAT to take with me to live gigs to record and not have to worry about computers. Let me know if there are any flaws in the plan. I am not too familiar with ADATs so let me know if I am assuming they do things they actually dont!
You can certainly use an ADAT unit to add 8 tracks to a PTLE/digi001 setup; I am set up that way right now. It doesn't have to have a tape in it.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear that I can at least use an ADAT as a A/D converter without having a tape in it! That leaves the other half of the question. Can I use the ADAT as a D/A converter to have 16 outputs and run them all back into a mixer? (the plan is to mix out of the box).
Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear that I can at least use an ADAT as a A/D converter without having a tape in it! That leaves the other half of the question. Can I use the ADAT as a D/A converter to have 16 outputs and run them all back into a mixer? (the plan is to mix out of the box).
Yes, you can do this. Set Pro Tools clock source to ADAT/Optical and you should be good to go. Make sure that your sessions are at the proper sample rate (typically 48k) when using this setup.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. As Digi sez, make sure that your sampling rate matches your session, and see that your ADAT is set to sync to the PT clock.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 AM

the adat can not be both an a/d and d/a at the same time. just be aware of that. i used an adat for d/a for a long time on my digi001 and it works well.