Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
Thanks much, Leigh. I can report that putting Mulligan in slot 1 does in fact resolve the issue. Unfortunately, as I need my Faderport 8 in slot 1, this will not work for me long-term. Is this a bug on Avid's side or yours? Would be great to get this resolved.

The functioning of the Learn button is unfortunately all in Avid's code, so there's nothing I can do about making that work when Mulligan is in slot #2.

One workaround I suppose would be to do all the plugin mappings with Mulligan in slot #1, and then once you're happy with the mappings switch it back to slot #2 so the Faderport can be in slot #1.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Marble View Post
The functioning of the Learn button is unfortunately all in Avid's code, so there's nothing I can do about making that work when Mulligan is in slot #2.

One workaround I suppose would be to do all the plugin mappings with Mulligan in slot #1, and then once you're happy with the mappings switch it back to slot #2 so the Faderport can be in slot #1.

Thanks Leigh. Yes this is the workaround I suppose. I figured it was Pro Tools’ fault.

Are you planning to add support for 16 encoders? Just looking at a dedicated controller for Mulligan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 12-21-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
Yes, exactly.
To cut one bar, I have to change view, zoom in, change tool, cut, change view again, zoom out, change tool again…AND I can only edit one track at the time.

Try cut one bar, going in to the chorus with 20 MIDI-tracks! It takes forever.

It should work like editing audio in my opinion.
Select regions, Press “B” and hit delete, WITH the notes following my edit.
Why would it NOT work that way? I don’t get it…
It’s because the press or start of the MIDI note determines its movement and associations. If you cut a MIDI note in the middle of it by splitting a MIDI clip, the note is assigned to the clip where the note begins. I guess it’s just how they programmed Pro Tools to deal with MIDI notes. I’m used to it because this is how Master Tracks Pro dealt with MIDI notes back when I started sequencing on the Mac Plus in 1992. Now I’m not usually editing 20+ MIDI tracks together at the same though, and this problem can make it frustrating and time consuming.

While we wait for Avid to catch up, have you tried using the Relative Grid mode for editing, and not Grid mode? I recently took an online class from producer Louis Bell, and he taught us to use Relative Grid mode in Pro Tools. Relative Grid allows you to split or cut a track before a measure and not even on a grid line, and when you move it or click drag it to copy to and place it somewhere else, the clip will snap to the relative timing position in a relative grid time of where it came from. And the notes inside the clip are placed in the exact same time frame as the original clip. This way you can split a clip slightly before the notes start so the notes belong in the active clip, and yet still be able to use the grid and not change the timing of any notes in the clip. Now it can take some getting used to because if you are like me you are used to seeing all the different clips line up exactly on a measure or grid line. This is how Louis worked around this issue with MIDI(although your expectations are not unreasonable IMO), and even audio when he didn’t want to cut off the beginning audio of measures, but also didn’t want to change any timing.
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
Thanks Leigh. Yes this is the workaround I suppose. I figured it was Pro Tools’ fault.

Are you planning to add support for 16 encoders? Just looking at a dedicated controller for Mulligan.

The MIDI controller protocol that Mulligan uses was built by Avid for an 8 knob layout. Mulligan uses lots of little workarounds to overcome various shortcomings of that protocol, but handling 8 parameters at a time is hardcoded into it, and I haven't discovered a graceful workaround for that yet.

So, in short, Mulligan will be limited to banks of 8 encoders/knobs at a time for plugin control for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Marble View Post
The MIDI controller protocol that Mulligan uses was built by Avid for an 8 knob layout. Mulligan uses lots of little workarounds to overcome various shortcomings of that protocol, but handling 8 parameters at a time is hardcoded into it, and I haven't discovered a graceful workaround for that yet.

So, in short, Mulligan will be limited to banks of 8 encoders/knobs at a time for plugin control for the foreseeable future.

Thanks Leigh. Great to know so I just bit my tongue and bought an x-touch midi. Great to have the additional support for it in the new 1.10 update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 AM

If you're curious to see what Mulligan can do, here's a quick look at it controlling the EQIII, BF-76, and Valhalla Delay plugins.

The MIDI controller used in this video is the X-touch Mini, but Mulligan works with any controller with knobs - see some of our recommendations here.

At the bottom of the screen, the Heads-Up Display shows the names of the 8 parameters mapped to the knobs:

https://youtu.be/Q6KConahwYY
Old 02-06-2022, 01:52 PM

Trying to post this video link again, the preview image got lost in the last one...

Old 02-06-2022, 03:32 PM

Chiming in quick.. For me Mulligan works great. I'm able to custom map and save how I want to control all my plugins and transport from an inexpensive M-audio keyboard I have. I'm able to work faster with tactile control in PT and then quickly play piano/synth keys if I like. I'll save my aging arms, shoulders, and hands for playing guitar versus all that mousing around with plugins. Great app thanks Refuse cheers!

Len B.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdy gurdy View Post
Chiming in quick.. For me Mulligan works great. I'm able to custom map and save how I want to control all my plugins and transport from an inexpensive M-audio keyboard I have. I'm able to work faster with tactile control in PT and then quickly play piano/synth keys if I like. I'll save my aging arms, shoulders, and hands for playing guitar versus all that mousing around with plugins. Great app thanks Refuse cheers!

hi Len - Thanks so much for the kind words about Mulligan!
Old 02-11-2022, 06:40 PM

Hey Leigh,

Nice update added earlier this week adding solo, mute, track select (amongst others) really cool thanks.

Peace.

Len