Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Help getting new K8VSE DAW to find the SATA dr

Thank you to both of you... I think I might finally be able to get this DAW working!

T.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I forget about the "F6 option" that James mentioned. I am just not so sure you could make things work even if you did have a bootable CD for your controller.

Actually, installing the SATA driver post F6 during XP install is kinda mandatory. CD or DVD drive will not boot, floppy is the easiest route. Obviously, you have not read my responses very carefully, nor have you built a PC using ASUS K8V MB using only SATA drives.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:30 PM

I've got you, and I def. understand the issue -- I'm buying a floppy drive tomorrow.

thanks again.

t.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM

Whoa! Let me re-phrase that James.

You're absolutely right, installing XP "must" be done as you describe. I was merely "thinking out loud" as I was brainstorming on how I could incorporate such a homemade bootable CD-Rom of the controller's drivers.

Check out this link James:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

It's slighty off topic but it is very intesting reading indeed.

Now that I have your attention let me throw something else at you. First, a story.

A while ago I successfully installed Windows XP on a friend's laptop. He was a computer newbie and bought it used off eBay WITHOUT a CD-Rom! It DID have a floppy. Stay with me, it gets good. It also had Windows 98 pre-installed but my buddy really wanted XP. After much research I found a way!

I networked this laptop to my home network with its built-in ethernet port. I had already copied the WinXP i386 folder to my server. I then dumped the i386 folder to the laptop right on the C: drive. Using a boot disk I purchased (PayPal donation actually) from bootdisk.com, I booted up the laptop. This special "XP boot disk" will allow you to do many cool things including support for the NTFS file system. I then navigated to the i386 folder and ran setup.exe! I was amazed it worked but it did. After I installed XP I manually deleted anything leftover from Win98 and converted the drive to NTFS.

SO, I was thinking, if Tommy or any other person was bent on NOT buying a floppy or wanted to try something just for fun, don't you think there could be a way of creating a bootable CD-Rom that contained everything in the "bootdisk.com floppy boot disk," the controller drivers AND the i386 XP setup files? I'm sure that Bart fella could make one! I know it would take me too long to figure out hence why I recommend just getting the damn floppy.

What do you think James, am I crazy?

Cheers,

Zuma

P.S. I can send you this boot disk if you like. It has been a lifesaver for me at times. Also, even if you do have a floppy and Cd-Rom it is nice to boot off this floppy and copy all the setup files from Cd-Rom to hard drive when installing XP as opposed to running it off the CD-Rom (just like the Win98 days).
Windows 7
Old 05-19-2004, 06:27 PM

Debate/different POVs appreciated, as it adds to the knowledge base contained on this site for others to reference in the future.

(Can you actually imagine the stunning wealth of knowledge captured by bulletin boards around the world? Stunning. This is where the internet truly rocks. E.G. I would have never, ever tried to build a PC before the internet.)

anyway, that last stuff is way over my head... but thanks regardless. i'm going the floppy route (then returning it to the store .)

t.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:03 PM

Return it to the store? What happends when you inevitably need to reload your OS down the road?

Just my opinion, it's still nice to have a floppy around for emergencies! I would love nothing more than a world without floppies but alas...

Zuma
Windows 7
Old 05-20-2004, 07:52 AM

good point.
and as i found out it's only $10 (for some reason i thought it would be more) then big deal -- skip a few starbucks coffees, eh?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 PM

Quote:
What do you think James, am I crazy?
Knock yourself out. I would rather spend $15 for a piece of hardware that will work via method, though buried in Asus manaul, confirmed by hundreds of PC builders, and also happens to be the easiest route. Can always pull drive and use it in your next PC you build.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:23 AM

Yeah, sorry for the rant James. This one is beat to death. Get the floppy!

It's been fun!

Zuma
Windows 7
Old 05-31-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Help getting new K8VSE DAW to find the SATA drives

OK fellas, I'm back for more help.
Got the main drive hooked up. Partitioned it, installed 2 OS's, so I have a dual boot... loving it. Been messing around with softsynths, etc., but now it's time to install the audio drive.

So hook the drive into the second SATA slot on the promise controller, but how do I get windows to format it??

It turns up in some of the hardware/device control panel windows, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to format it so I can actually start recording to it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.