Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2002, 01:01 PM

Default Re: remixing songs

for a remix you either need the seperate tracks, or edit the song to add parts, say lengthen a part and put in a solo by yourself.

As far as i know there is no soft- or hardware that can pull apart tracks.

Bastiaan

Bastiaan
Old 01-20-2002, 02:31 PM

Sometimes the careful use of EQ might allow you to extract certain elements from the stereo file e.g. kill the top end to isolate the beat - however, really depends on the material.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:47 PM

disassemling ther mix is like impossible. You can try Left minus Right to lower vocals and also Eq´íng out the bottom end and add you own kik/bass.....

Like Bastiaan said, the best way is definitely trying to get the original multitrack.

good luck

www.abacomusic.com
Old 01-20-2002, 10:40 PM

If you just want to just play around with mixes and tracks, use the demo that came with PTLE. As far as using a commercial CD, it's impossible.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 01-21-2002, 12:46 AM

Default remixing songs

If I have a sterio file of a song, say from a cd, how would I go about remixing the song? Is there a progam that can digitally pull apart the different tracks? Where can I learn more about remxing music and software I need to do so?

~Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-21-2002, 10:39 AM

It's just the reality we must accept at this time, no software is able to isolate the individual tracks of a stereo mix.

My first remix attempt was an 80's hit off the stereo mix, I did it just for fun and as mentioned, some creative (meaning drastic) eq'ing was involved. It's still rather difficult if you plan on adding a healthy dose of your own rhythms and sounds on top. It's faisable but also time consuming.

I just now started getting remix work in a more professional manner, being that a label has provided me the individual tracks (drums, bass, vox, etc) of a song and that makes the process much more enjoyable.

If you want to learn more about the world of remixing, there's a great boot at www.amazon.com which I just ordered a few days ago. I haven't gotten it yet, but I look forward to know more and learn tips and techniques. I believe it's simply entitled 'How to Remix', can't remember the author, though.

I'd look into it as it's only $19.99 or something like that.

have fun,

pk
Old 01-22-2002, 02:51 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned that you can check to see if the song you want to remix is available in a 12" single format with an acappella. I don't buy cd singles to know if they include acappellas or not (they might). Probably, this is more common in Rap and R&B genres so if you want to remix some rock song it's likely you won't find an acappella whatsoever.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:13 AM

check out the michael jackson single rock my world there is a accapella on there
Old 01-22-2002, 10:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pk_hat:

I just now started getting remix work in a more professional manner, being that a label has provided me the individual tracks (drums, bass, vox, etc) of a song and that makes the process much more enjoyable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PK,

Are you referring to the Madonna remix contest on AcidPlanet [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] or are you fortunate enough to be doing it for a living (or at least in a more professional capacity)?

If you are, I will now sit in my corner and be jealous....
Old 01-22-2002, 05:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by REtroJECT:

PK,

Are you referring to the Madonna remix contest on AcidPlanet [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] or are you fortunate enough to be doing it for a living (or at least in a more professional capacity)?

If you are, I will now sit in my corner and be jealous....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I have checked out these contests in the past, even started on the Depeche Mode one they had up there last spring, but never finished it as other things kept getting in the way.
This particular one is from the label itself (I'm sorry I can't reveal names until it's release next month) right here in NYC.
I was fortunate enought to know some people who were able to 'hook me up', based on some of my original material they had heard. They basically wanted me to do a remix of band X, song X and put a pk sound on it.

Really, that's all there is to it. Whatever you do, don't 'sit in that corner', because things won't happen from that angle.

The way you start getting remix work is either because...

a)you have some talent and you're lucky to know just one person who can give you that 'first chance'. If it succeeds, you will get more work, it's inevitable.

b)enter that contest at acid planet and just do it! Think about it, yes it's fun that you can submit your work and perhaps you'll win a bundle of Sonic Fundry stuff, but it doesn't begin nor end there.
If you feel you've done a great remix and didn't win the actual contest, you can send it to labels and start getting work based on that Madonna remix. Basically, use it as an example of what you're capable of.

Perhaps this seems easier said than done, but it's how most people get started. Just find the opportunities to get isolated tracks (such as the AP contests) and get to work, and they'll only get better each time.

When a new contest comes around, do that one as well and start building a little reel. It doen't even matter if it's a song you're not that crazy about, it matter that you keep the emotion and change the vibe.

Order that book I mentioned above, perhaps you could pick up a few remix CDs and learn from those as well, even better when it contains songs you are familiar with in their original form, but remixed to shreds (Oakenfold, Aphex, DJ Spooky, Kruder Dorfmeister come to mind, BT).

"When you really want something in life, you can get it. All you need is to do it and not stop."

Good luck,

pk