Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Default New Eleven Rack Owner With A Couple Questions

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not very tech oriented. The Eleven Rack arrived today. Is there a setting for running The "Main Outputs" on the Eleven Rack to powered Studio Monitors? If there are settings for running out to different sources, how do I get there and what should the setting be? I'm reading the manual, but so far I haven't found anything. It just doesn't sound right through the Main Outs to the studio monitors. It actually sounds a lot better running through the "Output to Amp" and into a SR Jam 150 Plus acoustic amp than the studio monitors. I know about the Noise Gate. That's not the problem.

Any help and advice on getting the Eleven Rack up and running is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Default Re: New Eleven Rack Owner With A Couple Questions

I'm not, at all, trying to be smart with this reply; however, read the manual. It covers all this quite well. One thing to get a firm understanding of is that you can either have the cabinet emulation on or off for the mains and the same for the output to amps. This can have a drastic effect on the output per connection. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM

If your ER was purchased used, I'd suggest doing a factory reset. (See "Reset Memory" under the "User Options" chapter.)

Other than that, I can't imagine why your ER would sound better through an acoustic-guitar amp than it would through a pair of powered monitors, unless you really prefer a sound that's been shaped with scooped mids. (If so, edit your ER patches to put an equalizer at the end of the chain and scoop the mids there...)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 AM

We really should have a sticky about the various outputs, how to wire them, and what "Rig Out No Cab" really does...

In User Options (hold the "edit" button for a few seconds), there is a section for setting the Amp Outputs. S long as BOTH of these are set to anything OTHER THAN "Rig Out No Cab", your full rig, amp/cab/fx/mic, etc will be sent through the XLR outputs. Setting EITHER of the Amp Outputs to "Rig Out No Cab" will disable cab and mic sims globally, including on the XLRs. That's NOT what you want to send to your monitors.

Depending on your studio monitors, you'll probably want to feed them with the XLRs (they are balanced, line level outputs). You can buy XLR to TRS cables, or XLR to whatever your monitors' input is.