Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 AM

Default OT - how do you distance yourself?

What do you do to forget about studio work and music? I mean, to get some perspective on a song or mix in progress you need to step back a little, right? I have a bad back, so one of the things I do is to take long walks in the nature, and it works wonders both physically and mentally. And during these walks I've come to appreciate all the beatiful scenary we have here in Norway. And this discovery lead me to a growing interest in photography, and editing of images. So, today I bought Photoshop CS5 extended to have a great tool to work with.

What's your favorite method to avoid tunnel vision?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Default Re: OT - how do you distance yourself?

Differential Equations O:
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelm01 View Post
Differential Equations O:
What? No equilibrium?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
What? No equilibrium?
I tried that. It kept making me fall down Yes indeed. Distractions are important and good for you(sometimes) When I work alone, I will take breaks, check email, play some games, get some lunch, leave the studio for 20 minutes.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM

I keep a copy of Robert Henri's "The Art Spirit" handy. I've never painted in my life, but I find that reading a few pages at random and then taking a few minutes away from the project to refocus and think about what I've read helps. It always seems to change my perspective and open my head to new ideas, approaches, and minor epiphanies.

It's become my standard method of "garbage collection" for old handles and pointers that have gotten in the way of the creative process. ...like a mental "reset" button. Part of the trick is recognizing when that button needs to be hit and conditioning yourself to have the discipline to do it.

In my case, I think it helps that the creative process and visualization are also the main topics of the "The Art Spirit". I suppose it could be any book, but this one just works for me.

On long term projects, I'm also big fan of getting enough sleep. Long-term fatigue can negatively affect both your hearing and your judgment.

NL
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Yeah, enough sleep is important. I've sometimes listened to old mixes that I know I like, but with only a few hours of sleep I don't like them so much. Nothing sounds exciting when you're tired and exhausted. I studied jazz (piano) for a year, and one time I overslept for the first class, so I had to jump out of bed and run straight to class. When I entered the classroom the teacher immidiately struck a chord and asked me what it was. And I couldn't answer even though it was a simple A minor (2nd conversion). I couldn't even tell if it was a major or a minor chord!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
What's your favorite method to avoid tunnel vision?
trees, sun, air,....

I also tend to avoid listening to music outside of my working/studio time (NPR is on in the car at all times!!!)

I'm weird but it works......
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM

I like to hang out with friends. Maybe play my PS3 or PSP. I also like to use and learn different software like Gimp and Sketchup. There is also movies, and of coarse, listening to music.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 AM

I posted this some time ago http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...t-fill-up.html

Personally, reading, watching movies, laughing.

Which reminds me; what's the difference between a banjo and a trampoline? You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
what's the difference between a banjo and a trampoline? You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline

I read in the paper the other day how a clairvoyant midget escaped from prison.

The headline said "Small medium at large".