Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Is Waves committing a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Unless you’re referring to the v14 wording that James pointed out, then I’m not sure how what I wrote is incorrect.

The v14 wording is an interesting point though and I must admit, I didn’t really think about that aspect. Considering they’re AAX AS Native as of v14, it probably won’t matter too much if v15 comes out within the year, at least for macOS users.

Who knows, they may even do away with version numbers all together with this subscription model.
I am referring to this (as well as their statement that WUP owner have perpetual licenses from the version on 3/24/23.) As I said, we won't know until WUP subscriptions end. And you are under the impression this is only a year... there are people with multi-year WUP. So if v15 arrives and updates end, then what was advertised that they bought isn't what they would be getting.
And now we have legal issues. WUP guarantees a term period not a version. And that's how they sold it.

That is why wording matters and not to assume anything (i.e. put words into their statement.) Your original post gave what they said a more a confident plan of action than what they stated. And that is not what they said. What the did say could violate their terms of sale to certain users.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:40 AM

You can buy multi year WUP? I was not aware of that.

How does that work? Do you stack them like say a PT perpetual update plan renewal or can you WUP for multiple years in one go? If the latter, I’ve never seen or noticed that option.

I guess it’s all academic now anyway seeing as WUP is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2023, 05:21 AM

Over the last year I bought the 9 plugins that I wanted to use from Waves. I feel like a bit of a fool now.

Why was there no warning about no further WUP? Some are just about to expire and I'll be stuck on 14 unless I effectively hand them in for a rental agreement.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Why was there no warning about no further WUP?
Very good question. As always, Waves has no need to explain themselves. I am well known of bashing them, but now I think most agree with me.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:11 AM

I'm just glad I dumped Waves a long time ago. So many other options these days.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Very good question. As always, Waves has no need to explain themselves. I am well known of bashing them, but now I think most agree with me.
As with the criminal angle, there are two views upon this topic: what Waves needs to do, and what they should do according to their customers.

What they did is probably not illegal, but it was a $h!tty move, no doubt. And people may agree that they weren't technically required to provide advance notice, but it, too, was a $h!tty move. They'll stay out of court, but they may also stay out of customers' shopping carts.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:59 PM

I have a current Mercury bundle, which is supposed to included basically ALL new plugins when released. That was one of the features of Mercury and WUP, just stay current and get new plugins...but it seems even if they release a new plugin Mercury folks won't get it since Mercury no longer exists

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-27-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I have a current Mercury bundle, which is supposed to included basically ALL new plugins when released. That was one of the features of Mercury and WUP, just stay current and get new plugins...but it seems even if they release a new plugin Mercury folks won't get it since Mercury no longer exists

Not to mention the thousands of dollars we paid for this privilege. Be interesting to find the original documentation stating this, because it was a big thing at the time!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-27-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
As with the criminal angle, there are two views upon this topic: what Waves needs to do, and what they should do according to their customers.

What they did is probably not illegal, but it was a $h!tty move, no doubt. And people may agree that they weren't technically required to provide advance notice, but it, too, was a $h!tty move. They'll stay out of court, but they may also stay out of customers' shopping carts.
And they are in Israel AFAIK. So it will take some one to spend the money to take them to court.
I think the only real avenue, is to just stop using WAVES.

AS someone said, Waves is strong arming people. There is no freedom as maybe someone like many might only use 3 or 4 plugins.
I have only seen one YT video who said, no big deal.

Slate, Plugin Alliance offers both.

I'd say if you really need it, you don't have a choice. If you use a handful that can be easily replaced, spend the money on the replacement.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-27-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I think the only real avenue, is to just stop using WAVES.
That's what we did, a very long time ago. I just feel bad for modern owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
AS someone said, Waves is strong arming people.
They certainly have a history of it. The term WUP'd became popular for a reason. This is different, but not really so different.