Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 10:00 PM

Default Data Scrambled

I recently did a new track to 5.0 session using 5.1. I opened it 3 days later and it was fine. I had backed up to CD using Toast . 2 days Later I Rebuilt the desktop and ran Norton 5.0 on my SCSI drive to optimize[defrag]. Opened session and had to locate 20+ files to get it to open only to find data missing and files out of sync. Loaded in data CD to only to find it was screwed up also.Any ideas as to why this occurred? I'm running a Beige G3 300mhz.on 8.6.
Old 05-13-2001, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Data Scrambled

I would usually NEVER run a defrag on a "hot "disc unless I have a full backup on a second disc. Be glad you made a CDrom copy of this session! In my experience the CDrom should be okidoki unless the data you wrote to it was allready corrupted...
What can have happened is that you screwed up the FAT by rebuilding your desktop AND using Norton to defrag. What the issue can be is that the session from your CDrom allocates the corrupted audio-data on your harddrive. If you have the possibillity to use a second harddrive simply copy the CDrom on the second drive and then unmount the corrupted drive ( with no applications running on the background NOT EVEN PROTOOLS !!!!)
When you did so launch PT 5.1 and load the session you copied from the CD. PT will reallocate the audio and the session should run smoothly without any problems.