Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 02:16 AM

Default CAN\'T TURN OFF COMUTER AFTER PROTOOLS INSTALLATION

Hi. I am experiencing a strange problem. When I install Pro Tools 6.4 on my PC (Win XP), I cannot turn off the computer anymore. Instead every time a restart is performed. When I deinstall Pro Tools, everything is fine again, when I reinstall it the same problem arises...
Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or a solution to it?
(I have: P4, 3Ghz, 1024MB, Intel P875)
Cheers.
Ben
Old 02-19-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: CAN\'T TURN OFF COMUTER AFTER PROTOOLS INSTALLATION

*-see post after this one*

I'll take a stab at this one -

My HP computer has the same CPU & chipset btw -

XP is setup in such a way that it wants to execute an automatic restart when ever there is a system failure. Shutdown problems like yours are usually the result of some hardware or software incompatibility issues. One thing you can do is to disable the 'restart on system failure' feature start => settings => control panel => system then go to the "advanced" tab. In the section labelled Startup and Recovery uncheck the box labelled "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section...

I know for a fact that other apps have caused this problem (CD Creator for one) In that case the solution was to delete some of the files installed by that product... (udfrinst / cdralw2k.sys)

Other things you might want to look at are - APM (I usually disable it)
Wake on power settings in the bios - (wake-on-lan, mouse, or whatever) I usually turn that stuff off.

USB connections can also cause this to happen.
ACPI can also cause this to happen - is that set up or not?

You can try this registry hack => cut and paste the following text into notepad and save it as something like shutdownxp.reg - close it and double click the file. It will enter this into the regitry without any fuss. BE A GOOD COMPUTER LAD AND BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY just to be safe.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"PowerDownAfterShutdown"="1"

(there's a space betweeen "Windows" and "NT" which caused the carriage return btw make sure the space is in your text file)

If your problem stems from a hardware issue this won't probably do anything.

If your system HANGS at shutdown by the way there is a Microsoft bug fix somewhere - let me know and I'll dig it up.

Good luck...
Old 02-19-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: CAN\'T TURN OFF COMUTER AFTER PROTOOLS INSTALLATION

I just remembered that if you have SP2 - hardware enforced DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that uses the MPEGPORT.SYS driver causes a conflict... Here's the Microsoft workaround Microsoft Knowledge Base article 878474

oh yeah and also make sure you have the updated TPKD.sys file from PACE (pace.com) that has been known to cause some problems. I've written enough but I can give you more details if the above doesn't help.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: CAN\'T TURN OFF COMUTER AFTER PROTOOLS INSTALLA

Hey thanks for your advice! The control panel setting really worked out. However, I realized, that this problem was not the only one in my system and decided to reformat my system partition. After the reformatting, there was no problem with pro tools anymore...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: CAN\'T TURN OFF COMUTER AFTER PROTOOLS INSTALLA

Oh yeah I forgot that last suggestion - format the friggin drive and start over...