Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Default LtRt Encoding in PT10

Could someone recommend to me a good plug-in to create an LtRt in Pro Tools 10? I currently rent the Dolby Surround Tools on a project-by-project basis, but that won't work when I get my HDX cards since there is no RTAS version.

I've read about the Neyrinck SoundCode and the new Dolby Media Emulator, but I wondered if anyone would share their experiences. This is mostly for shorts and docs for TV and festivals.

Thank you.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Re: LtRt Encoding in PT10

We use Neyrinck SoundCode and it's just perfect for that kind of job.
Its an encoder and doesn't provide decoding from LtRt to LCRS (PL1) or 5.1 (PL2).
This is what I missing from my Dolby Surround Tools.
Many folks using SurrCode by Minnetonka Audio and it provides both encoding and decoding possibilities.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 AM

Hi JMDNYC,

Neyrinck is a great product.

But for me the only downside is that you haven´t heard anything. So i think the best way is to make a downmix in realtime. This way you have heard the whole movie.
But it depends on how are the rearchannels phases and delays.

just some thoughts

Jochen
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't recommend surcode. there's a noticeable level difference between the encoded and decoded outputs which there shouldn't be. There isn't one when using the dolby plug. Surcode kept saying they fixed the problem, but the problem remains as of a year or so ago...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilano View Post
I wouldn't recommend surcode. there's a noticeable level difference between the encoded and decoded outputs which there shouldn't be. There isn't one when using the dolby plug. Surcode kept saying they fixed the problem, but the problem remains as of a year or so ago...
The level drop when decoding through Minnetonka Surrcode is an anoying bug, but the encoded LtRt level is correct.

Happy New Year,
Ted
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Using SurCode today ProTools 8.o4 and a recent upgrade to Mac OS10.6.7 and decode level bug is gone! Have not used Sur Code for a while so I dont know if it's the Mac OS upgrade or not. Maybe a Minnetonka update that I was not aware of.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Bought Dolby SEU4 hardware encoder and SDU4 hardware decoder less than $100 for the pair earlier this year works awesome! Check ebay beats $800 for plugins, works and is licensed by Dolby...actually it IS Dolby

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball View Post
Bought Dolby SEU4 hardware encoder and SDU4 hardware decoder less than $100 for the pair earlier this year works awesome! Check ebay beats $800 for plugins, works and is licensed by Dolby...actually it IS Dolby
Sounds like a viable option. Does it do PL2 as well as PL?

Ted
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM

only ProLogic, no PL2. I bought them new about 15 years ago, when they were about 40 times more expensive than 100$
I'm curious if Avid/Dolby will update their Dolby Surround plugin. Actually Dolby told me that Avid develops the plugin, so it's up to Avid at this point to develop an AAX version or not...
It is one of my questionmarks for the HDX compatibility with TDM systems, together with tc's Unwrap....

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a Lt/Rt question. Will a Lt/Rt created from a 5.1 PT session using L-R-C-LFE-Ls-Rs decode(playback) the same as a Lt/Rt created from L-R-Ls-Rs-C-LFE? I'm using the Minnetoka Surcode PT Plugin. I'm wondering if I can use my Lt/Rt created from the L-R-C-LFE-Ls-Rs 5.1 mix for a theatrical release as well? Or, do I need to change my session to ITU and encode that 5.1 mix to create a separate Lt/Rt mix? Sorry if it is a mundane question.
Thanks!
Kenneth