Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Default Segmentation fault and Bus errors

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered, but my searches only turned up posts from a year ago and no solutions I could see for my problem.

The system is a quad core mac with 8GB RAM running 10.5.8, and PT 8.01 HD. I'm getting repeated crashes with the error messages: :Segmentation fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0X0. And also "Bus error" in thread "Main thread" at address 0x0. If anyone could help diagnose this, it would be very much appreciated, it slowing things down considerably.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Question Re: Segmentation fault and Bus errors

Are you using ReWire or Mojo (SDI)?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Segmentation fault and Bus errors

Yes using rewire, I have a template set up using Plogue Bidule as a VI host
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi,I've had this a couple of times when trying to open a 7.4 session in an 8.01cs3..spoke to the support guys at digi and they said that these errors are linked to a memory problem that has been fixed in 8.03.He basically said when importing media into sessions Pro Tools doesn't realease the memory used for say importing another session.So you have to import a session,save and then quit the application then relaunch and open your saved file.It does seem to make a difference if you watch the 'Real Memory ' usage in the activity monitor.The Digi guy said the closer the real memory gets to 1.8 Gb the more unstable Pro Tools will get!!Hope that this is of some help.
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram
Old 02-21-2010, 04:09 PM

Exclamation Re: Segmentation fault and Bus errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathompson View Post
Yes using rewire, I have a template set up using Plogue Bidule as a VI host
Try not using Plogue Bidule and see if things improved. I recall seeing this same type of error with v7.3.1, and not using ReWire made most occurrences of it disappear.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Try not using Plogue Bidule and see if things improved. I recall seeing this same type of error with v7.3.1, and not using ReWire made most occurrences of it disappear.
Bidule is key for me to make the most of my RAM, this is a VI heavy project. I have another machine with a very similar setup that hasn't been experiencing [I]this[I] problem. (8 core, 10 GB RAM) same PT version, same OS

Is there anything else I can try?

tanjerinepost2 - these are sessions created in PT HD 8.01, but I have heard similiar things about imported files from older versions. Thanks for the tip though