Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Converting PTS files to WAV or another format

I was wondering if there was any other way besides using Pro Tools to convert a PTS file. I have a friend of mine who was sent a PTS file and has to listen to it for his job. He asked me since I was familiar with audio editing but not with Pro Tools. I took a look at it and simply cannot open it.

I looked into buying Pro Tools but it requires hardware which would take a while to even get and he would like to be able to listen to it as soon as possible.

First question, is there any way to edit/convert this file outside of Pro Tools? Is there any way to do it with Pro Tools but without the hardware?

Finally, and I'd hate to ask this because I have no idea if its a forum violation or not (so I apologize in advance) if I do need the hardware can anyone help me convert this file to WAV?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Converting PTS files to WAV or another format

A PTS file is a protools session file .. along with that file should be a sub-folder called
Audio and that will contain the WAV files for each track.

To "convert" the PTS file to a WAV, that's File->Bounce To Disk...

You'll need Protools, a Digi supported audio interface and some help.

jeff
Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Converting PTS files to WAV or another format

Jeff is part right,

.PTS is just the session there is no actual audio in that file

there should be some .wav, .aif, or .sd2 files those are the audio the the .PTS file references

now depending on any editing or plug-in/mixing in the session file it should be posable to play any of the for motioned files types (.sd2 will not play on a Windows machine)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig