Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 AM

Default PTLE7.1 and CME UF8 Midi Controller

Does anyone here have any experience with the CME UF8 Midi Controller when used with Pro Tools?

I'm using the Xpand plugin and also controlling Giga Studio via the keyboard. I'm having good luck with the main functionality of the controller, but I can't get the faders to work independently, nor can I get the shuttle or the aftertouch to work.

I've loaded the Legacy controller drivers, and set it up according to the manual, but still no luck. I've also tried using the USB functionality instead of midi without success.

I'm taking the keyboard back to my dealer today to confirm all is well with it, but thought I might check with the experts here to see if anyone else has had issues, and how they were resolved.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: PTLE7.1 and CME UF8 Midi Controller

I haven't used that keyboard, but was thinking about trying one. So post back and let us know what you decide.

Just a guess though...........I would imagine your faders have to be assigned to send proper controller numbers and the software receiving them has to be able to process them. I have a MAudio controller and use it with Reason. I have to sometimes go into the parameters of the keyboard and set a knob or fader to a specific midi controller number that corresponds with the function I want to adjust in Reason. Reason provides a chart of assigments for each and every function in all it's modules. I'm not sure if Xpand will even allow adjustment of certain functions past the ordinary volume (7), pan (10) mod wheel (1) etc. And even then, I think those would probably effect the instrument channel in PT rather than actually adjust them within Xpand.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM

I read somewhere that there is a USB driver issue with their keyboards. Maybe check with the manufacturer for an update.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:45 AM

I just got back from Corner Music where Russell and I have been wiring the board to some different modules and software. It appears that the keyboard is working great (aftertouch/faders/etc.).

He hooked me up with some Freeware called MIDI-OX that we used to confirm the functionality of the board.

He's still running it through some tests with ProTools to confirm it will communicate properly, but it appears that the board is working fine. I'll let you know what we find.

I love the board. The feel is amazing. I would like to have some sturdier buttons, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'll not be putting too much wear and tear on them. Hopefully this will end up being a good purchase.

If you're still looking at getting one, go see Russell. He'll treat you right.

Xpand does have a pressure drop down in the mod section, and the manual indicates that it is for the aftertouch functionality.

More later...