Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Where to begin...

Is it just a generally accepted fact that Digidesign is a sleazy company with no respect for its customers (who are basically in their pocket because their products are the industry standard), or am I alone in getting that general impression after only a day of owning their product?

-The fact that you have to buy superfluous hardware in order to use the software, taking up desk space and usb space, probably goes without saying.

-They list on their website that BIAS's Master Perfection Suite is compatible with Pro Tools LE. Based on this information, I bought it, only to find out that it's NOT compatible. There is supposedly an update coming that will make it compatible, but apparently it's been over a year and there's no release date in sight. Meanwhile, this was all for a project I have due on June 5th. $600 down the drain.

-Cute little scam of adding all kinds of programs and plugins on the installation disc that aren't licensed, so I install something and then I'm told I don't have authorization. Another way to trick customers into thinking they're getting more than they are so they'll buy more crap, I guess.

Okay, I needed to vent a little about these things. I'm hoping and praying that my other issues are potentially solvable, though I'm not reserving a great deal of hope, based on my other experiences with the company thus far.

-Since, like I said, Master Perfection Suite isn't compatible, is there any way to export a region to an external editor (i.e. Peak Pro), make changes and then route it back to the Pro Tools project?

-Is there no way to make Pro Tools play back through the computer system's default speakers, rather than the Mbox? I have an audio interface that connects to my stereo, which I can't connect using the Mbox. Do I seriously have to only use the Mbox even for simple *playback*?? It is seriously annoying A) to only be able to use headphones since I have no expensive monitors that can be plugged into the Mbox, and B) to have to switch my headphones between my stereo and the Mbox every time I open or close Pro Tools.

-Pro Tools LE can't import OMF files without a $500 add-on??? How is this possible, such a basic feature? The infinitely cheaper BIAS Deck does this with no problems whatsoever. All I want to do with PT is mix audio for a film and I can't do this without spending ANOTHER $500 (as well as wasting even more USB space with a dongle, apparently)?? There has to be a workaround for this, no?

So many issues, so little time. My wallet and I are not looking forward to life with Pro Tools.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Where to begin...

While I feel for you getting burned on the BIAS thing (not sure what that is, but faulty compatibilty info is a BIG issue - although it's "coming soon" as of 3/07 which is only a month ago, not a year. Also, a quick look at BIAS' site reveals this info) However, since you apparently managed to research that bit, how is that you missed all the other things about PTLE that you seem to be so upset about? All that info was also readily available, so no offense, but you're not going to get too much sympathy for not researching a product before you buy it.

Quote:
is there any way to export a region to an external editor (i.e. Peak Pro)
Yes, to some extent. Read your manual, it's in your Digidesign->Documentation folder.

Quote:
-Is there no way to make Pro Tools play back through the computer system's default speakers, rather than the Mbox?
No. You're really going to mix audio for a film on computer speakers? Good luck with that.

Quote:
Pro Tools LE can't import OMF files without a $500 add-on???
Correct.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Regarding my research, certainly I could've done more, but my main mistake was simply in assuming that Digidesign was a reputable company.

-MPS is listed as an "optimized" plugin package for Pro Tools. I could've double-checked that, but I assumed they were telling the truth. (And, regardless of what the BIAS website says now, their discussion boards - which you can't access until you have a licensed serial number - show that they've been saying that there would be an RTAS update "coming soon" for over a year now.)

-I did do research on OMF imports, and there were several articles I found explaining how to import OMFs into Pro Tools without DigiTranslator, using OMF tool. Of course, I could've done some more extensive research, but in my experience, reputable companies don't *dis*able features in new versions, but Digidesign apparently does. Again, my mistake for assuming they were reputable.

Quote:
is there any way to export a region to an external editor (i.e. Peak Pro)

Yes, to some extent. Read your manual, it's in your Digidesign->Documentation folder.

Thank you. I've gone over it and still haven't found an answer. I see some info about exporting files, but it's not at all clear how to make a smooth workflow between PT and an external waveform editor. I'm sure I'm some kind of idiot for not being able to find this and/or figure it out, but I figured someone here could help me.

Quote:
You're really going to mix audio for a film on computer speakers? Good luck with that.
No, actually, that's not what I said. I said the system's default speakers (i.e. the speakers that are selected in the Output tab of the Sound preference pane). I have speakers hooked up to a separate audio interface, that will be a pain in the ass to switch between the Mbox and back.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Is it just a generally accepted fact that Digidesign is a sleazy company with no respect for its customers (who are basically in their pocket because their products are the industry standard), or am I alone in getting that general impression after only a day of owning their product?
I disagree...respectfully of course. I believe they are the industry standard because they are a good company. I won't say that I always love them, but overall I do. I've had my frustrations with Digi as have most others, but in the end, they come through.

Quote:
-Cute little scam of adding all kinds of programs and plugins on the installation disc that aren't licensed, so I install something and then I'm told I don't have authorization. Another way to trick customers into thinking they're getting more than they are so they'll buy more crap, I guess.
This isn't a scam at all. I have three systems. I understood from the beginning what I was getting. Yes there were other plugs and software packages on the disk, but I only installed what I bought. What you install is up to you. When you're a company of that size, making a customized disk for each person based on their order is almost impossible. They make one with all the stuff on it, and its up to you to install what you bought. Its not hard. If your receipt says "Pro Tools LE" you install "Pro Tools LE," not Pro Tools, DV Toolkit, thrid party plugs, etc...

Quote:
-Is there no way to make Pro Tools play back through the computer system's default speakers, rather than the Mbox?
I'm with Slim...seriously?

One thing that you'll probably have to face is that you bought Pro Tools LE (limited edition). It's not going to do everything that a full version would. If you want the pro version, you can buy it and you'll have all the capabilities you're wanting. Which version you purchase is your choice, but you'll have to live with what it can do...or in this case what it can't.

I don't mean to sound harsh, please don't take it that way, but this is an issue here on the DUC. It seems there are a lot of people that buy the LE version and somehow don't realize its limited. I would think the massive difference in price would be a clue, but I guess some think its the same version at a lower price. They get home and are instantly mad at Digi for "ripping them off," not at themselves for their lack of research and education before buying. Those aren't your words, just an example.

There are some users that want the limited edition to do everything the full version does. On the other hand, some understand they didn't buy the full version and don't expect it. Digi offers several levels of systems for your level or business, recording, professionalism, and ability. It's up to you to decide where you fit in by purchasing the correct system for you.

Pro Tools is great. I hope your experience improves. If we can help here on the DUC, there are many users that are glad lend a hand. As Slim stated, probably your best bet right off is to read the reference guide and become more familiar with the software. It makes for a much better experience.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
Regarding my research, certainly I could've done more, but my main mistake was simply in assuming that Digidesign was a reputable company.

-MPS is listed as an "optimized" plugin package for Pro Tools. I could've double-checked that, but I assumed they were telling the truth. (And, regardless of what the BIAS website says now, their discussion boards - which you can't access until you have a licensed serial number - show that they've been saying that there would be an RTAS update "coming soon" for over a year now.)
The information on our website is provided to us directly by BIAS - unfortunately, due to the huge number of plug-ins available for Pro Tools, we are unable to independently verify every submission we get from manufacturers. Essentially, we have to take most of them at their word.

With that, it's my guess that RTAS development took longer because of the early release of Intel Macs and the changes that were made with Pro Tools 7, which required plug-in changes to be compatible going forward.

Quote:

-I did do research on OMF imports, and there were several articles I found explaining how to import OMFs into Pro Tools without DigiTranslator, using OMF tool. Of course, I could've done some more extensive research, but in my experience, reputable companies don't *dis*able features in new versions, but Digidesign apparently does. Again, my mistake for assuming they were reputable.
Digitranslator has never, ever been free with any system, so we didn't 'disable' anything. It has never been a bundled plug-in with Pro Tools LE or HD, only recently with DV Toolkit for LE did it come as part of any bundle.

Quote:

Thank you. I've gone over it and still haven't found an answer. I see some info about exporting files, but it's not at all clear how to make a smooth workflow between PT and an external waveform editor. I'm sure I'm some kind of idiot for not being able to find this and/or figure it out, but I figured someone here could help me.
You can either select the audio files you want to process in another application and 'export selected as files', or bounce the tracks with the audio files to disk, then open them in your other editing application. Once you're finished in the other application, simply import the audio files back into Pro Tools and spot them to the original location. Another method would be to directly access the audio files in the Pro Tools audio files folder, process them, then manually relink them in the session, though this method has a few potential pitfalls - experimenting with these 3 methods should provide you with a few good workflows for your needs.

Quote:

No, actually, that's not what I said. I said the system's default speakers (i.e. the speakers that are selected in the Output tab of the Sound preference pane). I have speakers hooked up to a separate audio interface, that will be a pain in the ass to switch between the Mbox and back.
You may consider getting a line level switcher to swich between the outputs of each of your interfaces, or possibly using a mixer between the outputs of the Mbox, your other interface and your speakers.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM

I keep seeing these digi bashing threads. Don't people research before buying anymore? Also how come if BIAS deck does what you want you decided to switch to tools?

Also Pro Tools is probably the best audio editor i've used I don't know why you'd want to use an external one.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 PM

What is it again? Oh yeah... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:

-The fact that you have to buy superfluous hardware in order to use the software, taking up desk space and usb space, probably goes without saying.

-They list on their website that BIAS's Master Perfection Suite is compatible with Pro Tools LE. Based on this information, I bought it, only to find out that it's NOT compatible. There is supposedly an update coming that will make it compatible, but apparently it's been over a year and there's no release date in sight. Meanwhile, this was all for a project I have due on June 5th. $600 down the drain.

Okay, I needed to vent a little about these things. I'm hoping and praying that my other issues are potentially solvable, though I'm not reserving a great deal of hope, based on my other experiences with the company thus far.

-Since, like I said, Master Perfection Suite isn't compatible, is there any way to export a region to an external editor (i.e. Peak Pro), make changes and then route it back to the Pro Tools project?

-Is there no way to make Pro Tools play back through the computer system's default speakers, rather than the Mbox? I have an audio interface that connects to my stereo, which I can't connect using the Mbox. Do I seriously have to only use the Mbox even for simple *playback*?? It is seriously annoying A) to only be able to use headphones since I have no expensive monitors that can be plugged into the Mbox, and B) to have to switch my headphones between my stereo and the Mbox every time I open or close Pro Tools.

-Pro Tools LE can't import OMF files without a $500 add-on??? How is this possible, such a basic feature? The infinitely cheaper BIAS Deck does this with no problems whatsoever. All I want to do with PT is mix audio for a film and I can't do this without spending ANOTHER $500 (as well as wasting even more USB space with a dongle, apparently)?? There has to be a workaround for this, no?

So many issues, so little time. My wallet and I are not looking forward to life with Pro Tools.
It's kind of common for people to get frustrated and pissed when they initially start using Pro Tools - it has a lot of features and there is a lot of ground to cover. The learning curve is pretty high if you want to go past the basics. There are ways to use the system economically. However, it is a BIG market for accessories and etc. for various needs. Digidesign is not The United Way. You will find a lot of help here on this forum and from tech support but, ya know, stop the flame mail. All of your issues are solvable, some for free.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:

It is always wise to not believe manufacturer projections. Sony has been called "Soon, Only Not Yet". Things happen in a development cycle. Wait until a product is released and you get user feedback before purchasing. Don't spend your money on vaporware. Complain to BIAS. Dig doesn't write their software.
Quote:

No, it is to give you demos on software you may find useful. Since it seems you didn't do much research before buying, you may not have known you didn't buy all the demos. They are easy to remove. In fact it takes less time to remove them than to bitch about demo software.
Quote:

Where did the company fail to resolve a problem you were having?
Quote:

Yes. Easy. See Digi's response. Also, RTFM.
Quote:

Like Digi said, buy a switch. Also, I don't know any "expensive monitors" that can't be plugged into the MBOX. Why not connect the MBOX to another input on the stereo?
Quote:

Read before you buy. Don't complain after. Makes you seem foolish.
Quote:

Unlike BIAS, you can post here and ask questions before you buy. Might have been a good move for you.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
-----

GO to Radio shack and buy an adapter cable - stereo jack to RCA probably - and plug it from the Mbox into a channel on your stereo - OR go buy some powered monitors. The inexpensive M-Audio monitors on Ebay sound great for simple monitoring. When you need more complicated monitoring later you can get some pretty nice powered monitors from, say, KRK or Yamaha in the $2-400 dollar range.