Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: ProTools doesn\'t always play with the spacebar

Re: I think it would be worthwhile for all who are experiencing this problem to increase their H/W buffer settings and see if the problem disappears. While this may not be an acceptable solution, it would help to narrow down the cause.

================================================== =

Yes... If i set mine to 1024, the issue goes away... but, as you said, this is not an acceptable solution.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:40 PM

FYI:

Perhaps Digi will take note…

I have contacts at ABC Radio and Salem Broadcasting that are having this issue and Digi has NOT had an official response…

The BIG problem is that the issue did NOT occur when using 5.3.1.

As a person who recommended this software to these companies, I am embarrassed that this is occurring and there is, as of yet, no OFFICIAL response from DIGI acknowledging these issues.

Let me make it clear that I am a huge supporter of ProTools software but I am frustrated at the lack of initiative from Digi regarding this issue….

I would think that they would try to re-create the problem and solve it…

-signed… a frustrated fan of ProTools

Geoff
Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 PM

Anyone else try increasing their H/W buffer to see if the problem disappears?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
hey rail, I looked but I couldn't find anything (i looked through my entire bios) any ideas?
Try this:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#spindown

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-19-2004, 11:22 PM

Yes, it is better when the buffer is set higher but that's not a good solution when trying to record with low latency.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:51 PM

Looks like four people have noted that the problem disappears at higher buffer settings. Still no solution, but I think we've zeroed in on the cause.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:27 PM

I would disagree. There are several different things that influence the problem but none of them appear to be the cause. It is still possible for me to have the same problem at 1024, often if I've been working on a session for a long time (it seems the longer I have been recording, the more frequently it happens)

It's also related to virtual memory- changing these numbers can affect it. I think I also remember that enabling the limit to record allocation seems to help as well. Another thing to mention is that if it were a low buffer issue, wouldn't we have more problems with low buffers than protools saying "pause" and having to hit it several times? after hitting play or record once or twice more, it runs perfectly fine and records without any error at 128.

What I'm trying to say is that none of these things are a cause, they just affect how often it happens.

If you remember the bounce to disk bug, some of these same parameters affected how it worked and furthermore some people had it a lot worse than others, but in the end it was a pt bug. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I think a lot of people have zeroed in on the fact that it didn't happen until pt 6.x and after.

There are too many people having this problem for digi not to say anything which is what they did with the bounce to disk bug.

It's funny up until a year ago when people would ask me what I thought was better for pt (mac or pc) I'd always say pc...getting into cost vs. performance and when people would say "I heard macs were less problematic" I'd tell them that it just wasn't the case anymore. Now when people ask me I'm afraid to say anything. If I were buying my laptop all over again, I'd buy a powerbook in a second...I'm sick of all of this.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:01 PM

What about UNDO???? Has anyone tried to disable UNDO????
Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 AM

Was an answer ever found to this problem?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:43 PM

I haven't found one, so far.

This is very frustrating for me, especially the fact that it's intermittent. One day it'll seem to be entirely gone, but then the next, not only do I get lots of spacebar issues, but also bounce to disc failures.

I keep trying eliminating services, etc. in MSCONFIG, but have yet to find a solution.

Especially frustrating for me, because I sold the management on PT because my other experiences with it suggest it's rock-solid. And it continues to be on my Mac at home, but for various reasons we're running PCs at work.