Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Mbox 2 input - WAY TOO LOUD

First my setup:

Neumann TLM 103 (48V powered of course) > Focusrite 220a Session Pack > Mbox 2 > ProTools LE on a Mac PRo

Problem:

The signal in the Focusrite is at a very normal level--not even close to clipping. i'm rolling off at 100 or so, and using the compressor on the Focusrite, as well as the limiter. Bottom line--this signal should not be overly hot.

BUT, the connection on the MBox2 is showing the signal as being so hot, that i have the input volume all the way down AND I'm using the 20db pad...just to keep the signal from clipping!??!?!?

This doesn't seem right--has anyone else had a problem with the Mbox2 having a ridiculously high initial input level? It's really giving me issues with how I'm able to use my limiters, and it's just not good practice to have to knock a signal down like that before I even get it into ProTools!?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 input - WAY TOO LOUD

A ridiculously high input level would indicate that you are coming out line level from the Focuserite and going mic in on the M-box. Is this true? Are you using a XLR to XLR cable?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Which connection on the Mbox are you using? If you're using the analogue outputs on the ISA, then you should be connecting to the line in on the Mbox.

Also, you should be able to attenuate the ISA output.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM

My mic is going into the "Mic IP" of the Focusrite. There are two outputs on the Focusrite: one is just an XLR "Output" and the other is an XLR output when you're using the Focusrite A/D card. I do not have the Focusrite A/D card, so I'm going out of the XLR output of the Focusrite and into the Mic 1/Line in input on the Mbox 2 Pro.

BTW, I've tried two different cords from the Focusrite to the Mbox 2 Pro. The initial cord was an XLR to 1/4". So, I tried an XLR to XLR just to compare, which in theory would only make the signal hotter. Both seemed about the same, so I don't think it's a 1/4" versus XLR issue.

As for attenuating the output of the focusrite, I'm a newbie to really dealing directly with the hardware like this. How do I do that?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM

XLR out from 220a and 1/4 in. TRS input to M-box is correct.
If you have any hardware buttons on the mbox, switch to line input, not Instrument or D.I.
If you have -10 and +4 switch on M-box switch to +4.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Input option buttons for the input are DI or Mic. I have it set to Mic.

There are no buttons for -10 to +4--would that be on the hardware itself? If so, there are no controls on the Mbox 2 Pro for that. Darn.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelonkid View Post
Input option buttons for the input are DI or Mic. I have it set to Mic.
That is correct.

Quote:
There are no buttons for -10 to +4--would that be on the hardware itself? If so, there are no controls on the Mbox 2 Pro for that. Darn.
The Mbox outputs at +4dBu so it's fair to assume that inputs are set similarly. The ISA also outputs at this level so all's well in that department.

RTM for the ISA to determine how to turn the output down.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
My mic is going into the "Mic IP" of the Focusrite. There are two outputs on the Focusrite: one is just an XLR "Output" and the other is an XLR output when you're using the Focusrite A/D card. I do not have the Focusrite A/D card, so I'm going out of the XLR output of the Focusrite and into the Mic 1/Line in input on the Mbox 2 Pro.

BTW, I've tried two different cords from the Focusrite to the Mbox 2 Pro. The initial cord was an XLR to 1/4". So, I tried an XLR to XLR just to compare, which in theory would only make the signal hotter. Both seemed about the same, so I don't think it's a 1/4" versus XLR issue.

As for attenuating the output of the focusrite, I'm a newbie to really dealing directly with the hardware like this. How do I do that?
THAT is your issue. You need to go into the Mbox's LINE input, which is set to a much lower gain setting. Anything else is a waste of time. Go buy a XLR-F to TRS cable.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM

I think there is more to it than that. I have been running MBox2 on a Dell XP notebook and all the levels were as they should be.

I just purchased a MacBook and installed PT 7.4.2 and now I'm having the same problem as watermelonkid.

I thought I blew up my MBox somehow so I hooked the Dell back up and everything was back to normal again - I have not solved the problem yet but if/when I do, I will post here

-cr