Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Mbox for on-location film recording? How portable?

Hey all, I'm thinking of putting together a little mobile rig to do some low level recording for indy films, student films, etc.
For my recording platform, I was thinking an Mbox... running on a powerbook or ibook. I'd have to think of some clever way to rack the system, or maybe use an Mbag.

Is anyone else using an Mbox for this kind of recording? I'm wondering how portable it really is. (durable, etc.) Most of my recording would be mono or stereo, so it's not a big issue. If I need more channels, I can always bring a small mixer and mix down to two tracks.

I'd also have to probably look into a small, cheap power generator (quiet) for some gigs.

Another upside is that I do have an HD system at home, and lots of outboard gear.. so I can transfer to that system to do major editing, sweetening.

What do you guys think? There are other options, like the Core Sound box, portable DAT, etc. You think the Mbox is a better way to go? (keep in mind, this is on a small budget)
Old 03-01-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Mbox for on-location film recording? How portable?

I've used an MBox for recording audio for film, but never on location (outside my studio). i would see this as a good way to go for digital.

if you could, recording to MiniDisk woul probably be easier. i'd stay away from a portable tape recorder, as i've found that their quality is horrible.

Anyways, good luck with the filming. I lve this indy stuff, sedn me info on how to get some of it.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:52 PM

I've used the 002 on a few TV projects and did syncing with clapboards. Worked fine. I believe the mBox draws USB power so actually a few extra batteries for the laptop might be a better investment than a power generator.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:27 PM

I use an iBook G3 800Mhz and an Mbox to record my bands live performances nightly. It's held up fine on the road, but I hate those stupid little feet on the mbox

As for power, look into this
N-Charge

I've personally never used it but it was sent my way by a live concert taper friend. I've gotten a few hours out of my fully charged iBook and mbox with the screen dimming set almost off.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Mbox for on-location film recording? How porta

Quote:
if you could, recording to MiniDisk woul probably be easier. i'd stay away from a portable tape recorder, as i've found that their quality is horrible.
A decent 1/4" deck ro DAT will sound worlds better than the compressed format of Minidisc.

I'd go for DAT, you can dump it into PT via SPDIF later.