Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2002, 09:38 PM

Default Digi, Time To Update PT\'s Look

So I checked out 5.3.1 on my friends PC. I know this may seem like a stupid post since we dont even have 5.3.1 for Mac osX, but I was disapointed that PT still looks the same. Especially next to the more modern look of XP's menu bars etc. No reason to think it will be any different for OS X. Even though we all love PT and are used to the layout, Digi could still modernize the look without changing the basic layout. I just think that other programs look much better. Pro Tools is the best...but it should also look the best. Better asthetic will lead to a more creative environment. Maybe Digi can start working on this once we have 5.3.1 for Mac OS X later this summer.

Anyone second this?
Old 06-30-2002, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Digi, Time To Update PT\'s Look

Ok, this is not exactly related to your post, it's more like a rant without attacking anybody (well, just PC users) concerning all the stuff I've read here lately...
I'm kinda tired of people thinking that PT LE 5.3.1 WILL have to be a OS X release. The OS X version that will support any audio software/hardware won't be out AT LEAST until the end of august or the first two weeks of september. If Digidesign is gonna release in mid-july a Digi001 package with the 5.3.1 LE version for Windows, there is a big chance that the Mac version will be out soon too (when we bought the Digi001 at the studio, the PTLE version included was the same version for both, Mac and PC.)
Someone showed on two or three topics some Digidesign email that according to the poster confirms that there won't be a 5.3.1 version for Mac soon, but the only thing I read from that is just a description -that gives away nothing at all- of how are things today: there is a downloadable Windows PTLE 5.3.1 update version here, and Digi is developing Pro Tools for OS X. Then someone said that our current plugs won't work if there is a new version, blah-blah-blah... have some common sense, please. First, we Digi001 and Mbox users are not gonna need rewritten plugs even if they integrate DAE and PT in one app under OS 9 cause we are not using hardware with higher sample rates, and second, if there is a 5.3.1 LE version to be released soon (that means less than a month) IT WILL BE for OS 9, not OS X, so you don't have to worry about losing your investment. Let's take it to a scenario where there is a OS X release tomorrow... the plugins will be a free update for registered users... it will be pretty stupid to charge for the rewritten OS X version (that won't have any improvements, just make it operate under X) cause the point here is to support the OS X migration. As for OS X, I think that the release for the new OS will be Pro Tools 6 announced either at Macworld or as a press release in september and released in october, with enhancements that won't be available for Windows users until the first quarter of 2003. And I think it will have pretty much the same interface cause it facilitates the migration and the operation for multi-platform users.
And please PC users... we really don't want to read on the Mac forum that you built some Athlon garbage for less than 900 bucks. We just don't care if you are cheap, hardware assembler nerdy dude... REALLY.
Ok, end of rant. I was feeling lonely... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2002, 11:04 PM

J. Guerrero,

I will pray for you. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 06-30-2002, 11:56 PM

Change it how? ProTools' look is one of my reasons for loving it. Logic, Cubase, MOTU, and the rest, are colorful and pretty, but it makes things much more confusin. Grey, black, and white, means the software stays out of my way, allowing me to do what i need to do.
If a bright, modern, cheery look takes away from the ease of use, or function of a tool, that is a bad thing.
A little tweaking might be nice, but hopefully not even close to what Logic and MOTU have done to their mix and edit windows.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:28 AM

Whats more important, looks or performance/
I use the gear, not stare at it.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:05 AM

Actually, ajazzie, vonbleak101, and Steak, I agree. Besides, how many 'real' mixing desks have a fancy, colorful surface?
One thing that would be nice though is a different shade on aux's. Perhaps make the fader a different color (white maybe?) for easy identification, just like the subgroups on 'real' desks.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Actually, ajazzie, vonbleak101, and Steak, I agree. Besides, how many 'real' mixing desks have a fancy, colorful surface?
One thing that would be nice though is a different shade on aux's. Perhaps make the fader a different color (white maybe?) for easy identification, just like the subgroups on 'real' desks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea, I agree.
There are the little icon things on the bottom right (i think) of the channel strip to tell you whether its a Mstr, Audio, Midi, or Aux trk though.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:26 AM

Yeah, true, but it would be much quicker to identify the aux's if there was something a little more obvious.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:38 AM

Interface is fine for me, i'd prefer they spend the resources on more important issues.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:39 AM

Like i said elsewhere... there is nothing worse than... the DP interface, FCP, OSX and logic.

OSX can kiss my *****, I hate the look and feel. all that blue is friggin bland and ugly. I'll take the PT's intercae on os9 over anything. as a matter of a fact.. I use Premiere over FCP cause of it.