How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 04:55 AM

Default M2 Max Studio @ Carbon issues

Hi,
I know that Sonoma is not yet qualified with Carbon, but nonetheless I thought my experience might be useful :
I am configuring a Apple Mac Studio M2 Max, and noticed that if I just restart the system, Carbon will not reconnect properly to the network again.
For Carbon to reconnect I have to shut down the mac, restart Carbon (extinguish + start), and then start the Mac.
Obviously the mac restart process does not reinstate correctly the AVB ethernet connection, but worse, it hangs the Carbon internal software, so restart of the Carbon unit becomes necessary before restarting the Mac.
Best regards,
Markl
FYI, I only have the Carbon Ethernet cable directly plugged into the Mac Studio, no hubs boxes or anything.
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 02-09-2024, 05:13 AM

Default Re: M2 Max Studio @ Carbon issues

I don't think this problem is limited to Sonoma - I have seen a simlar problem on and off through Catalina (Mac Pro 2019) and Monterey and Ventura (M1 Max). Something is badly behaved and I'm never sure if it's AVB on the Mac or the Carbon itself.

Dominic
Old 02-10-2024, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I don't think this problem is limited to Sonoma - I have seen a simlar problem on and off through Catalina (Mac Pro 2019) and Monterey and Ventura (M1 Max). Something is badly behaved and I'm never sure if it's AVB on the Mac or the Carbon itself.

Dominic
I had this a few times and the solution each time was to reinstall the carbon firmware.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:54 AM

I was able to get it to work again after disabling WiFi, than opening ProTools.

maybe this could help for you too ?

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|2x PRE |2x Audient PRE 880| 1x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Avid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue | Avid MTRX Studio + Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE

System 3 : Dolby Atmos Renderer Running Sonoma 14.4
MacMini M2 Pro |16 GB RAM | Avid MTRX Studio (Thunderbolt3)
Old 04-18-2024, 11:21 PM

Hi,
I reply to my own post to update everyone interested on the results of the numerous tests I did.

To make it short, my M2 Mac Studio boots *very* fast (8"). So fast that it somehow interferes with the very extensive probing of network ports by the Carbon Central Application, and this seems to confuse it a little.

My workaround has been simple :
I removed Carbon Central from the startup apps.
When the mac is started, I manually launch CC, and it detects the Carbon unit in about 4 seconds !
If I forget to start it and run Pro Tools, it will ask me to choose a audio engine, I then start Carbon Central and then click next, select the carbon extended engine and am back in business.

I have had a similar issue with V-Control, a Neyrinck software to enable me to use my Avid C24 control surface in Silicon native mode.
In that case the problem is that the ultrafast boot does not give sufficient time to the Pace / iLok services time to properly load; So V-Control hangs
Same workaround, I removed it from the startup items and launch it manually.

All this seems simple but it really made my life hell until I understood the root of the problem. I know that Neyrinck is a very responsive company so no doubt an update will sooner or later be published. As for Avid, I don't know what they are up to
Have a good day everyone !
Mark
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 04-19-2024, 07:01 AM

If you only have the one Carbon , and if you do not need CC for the C24 ? then there is no need to run Carbon Central at all is there ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-20-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
Hi,
I reply to my own post to update everyone interested on the results of the numerous tests I did.

To make it short, my M2 Mac Studio boots *very* fast (8"). So fast that it somehow interferes with the very extensive probing of network ports by the Carbon Central Application, and this seems to confuse it a little.

My workaround has been simple :
I removed Carbon Central from the startup apps.
When the mac is started, I manually launch CC, and it detects the Carbon unit in about 4 seconds !
If I forget to start it and run Pro Tools, it will ask me to choose a audio engine, I then start Carbon Central and then click next, select the carbon extended engine and am back in business.

I have had a similar issue with V-Control, a Neyrinck software to enable me to use my Avid C24 control surface in Silicon native mode.
In that case the problem is that the ultrafast boot does not give sufficient time to the Pace / iLok services time to properly load; So V-Control hangs
Same workaround, I removed it from the startup items and launch it manually.

All this seems simple but it really made my life hell until I understood the root of the problem. I know that Neyrinck is a very responsive company so no doubt an update will sooner or later be published. As for Avid, I don't know what they are up to
Have a good day everyone !
Mark
Hi there Mark......

I read through this and passed it along to the product owner of Carbon - Mark. I do know that we haven't seen this since we've not qualified Carbon with Sonoma... but this doesnt surprise us here. We've seen similar issues as computers get faster with applications that autolaunch faster than the network issues IP addresses

Mark will log this with Eng so if/when we do qual Carbon w Sonoma we can look at possibly adding a delay.

In the past, folks have scripted a delay for autolaunch applications that seems to help. Not sure how they have done it but if you need me to check into that - let me know.

Thanks for posting the original and your findings.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com