Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Default Which Avid plug-ins are worth paying for and which ones should be bundled with PT?

In the ever increasing competitive plug-in market, I've been finding it harder and harder to justify spending my hard earned cash on Avid-brand plug-ins when there are some great "up-and-coming" companies (i.e. Sonnox, Softube, Soundtoys) that have been finally challenging Waves 15-year dominance.

I understand that by charging a set price for extra Avid plug-ins that they are increasing their perceived worth. I know many people shy away from using any bundled plug-ins in Pro Tools, Sonar or Digital Performer because they perceive them to not be as good as individual plug-in manufacturers whose products they have paid for.
For example, if you have a large plug-in library how many of you would automatically choose the default EQ 3 or Dynamics 3 over something else?

But on the other hand, I also feel that since Avid is mainly known for their DAW software and to a lesser degree their hardware, they could help increase the value of Pro Tools (or make it perhaps more enticing to new customers) by including more Avid plug-ins bundled with the Pro Tools software.

Back to the main questions, which Avid plug-ins do you feel are worth the money and stack up against the competition?
Personally I think HEAT is pretty cool for certain applications. And I actually like most of the BF classic compressor emulations. But other than that I really don't feel the need to drop $300 on a "Pro" Limiter...

Obviously the pat answer is "use your ears" and "compare for yourself", but that is sometimes (a) not financially feasible and (b) unfortunately in the visual medium of using DAW's often the visual aesthetics (GUI) and usability of a plug-in can trump any perceived sound benefit.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Which Avid plug-ins are worth paying for and which ones should be bundled with PT

Personally, I think that the bundled in Avid ChannelStrip is on par with the competition. Sonically. There are personal preferences in how you would like the plugin GUI to be laid out so I know many pro mixers opt to use Sonnox EQ instead, for example. But there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Avid ChannelStrip at all. I could use that for a well paid project.

Fundamentally...

you need a go-to eq, compressor, expander/gate, reverb, limiter --- and if we're not discussing reverbs here, Avid has the rest covered up very nicely. If you want more comfort you can buy the new "pro" plugins but the stock stuff is really very much better now than it was ten years ago.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Which Avid plug-ins are worth paying for and which ones should be bundled with PT

I like Eleven's full version, some of BF, and moog delay and these should come bundled with pro tools. But I do still find uses for some of Avids plugs not including the ones I mentioned.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM

One of our engineers put this to the test a few months ago... He opened a project he'd done all ITB using Sonnox, Waves... don't remember what others... and replaced them all with Avid plugs... He dialed in the plugs so well that there was only subtle differences between the two mixes. In the blind A/B test most of us favored the all Avid mix.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
For example, if you have a large plug-in library how many of you would automatically choose the default EQ 3 or Dynamics 3 over something else?
I pretty much only use EQ3 in my sessions. The only time I use a different EQ is when mastering.

EQ's are (IMHO) probably one of the only tools that don't really differ much in software.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM

updated stereo sound replacer I would like to see...

All the BF is good to me..

"Which Avid plug-ins are worth paying for and which ones should be bundled with PT"
All is the most obvious answer to the posed question.
As I have acquired most in bundle buys the stock I use most often for compatibility with others. So I all were included I wouldn't resist using most of what I purchased.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM

I personally think avid should bundle all of their avid plugins with Pro Tools. Even if it's just in HD. It would make it a much more attractive package to newcomers and many would not even have to buy third party plugins.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
One of our engineers put this to the test a few months ago... He opened a project he'd done all ITB using Sonnox, Waves... don't remember what others... and replaced them all with Avid plugs... He dialed in the plugs so well that there was only subtle differences between the two mixes. In the blind A/B test most of us favored the all Avid mix.
I did the exact same A/B using just waves and avid plugs on drums. Although I personally favored waves mix, avid still proved to hold its own.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Re Vibe is truly Excellent.

TL Space has it's uses and is being AAX'd apparently.

Eleven (full version) is a good Amp sim.

I like to have more than one of everything but those are all in the same class of quality and usefulness as othere commercial TP plug Ins.

I have not tried the new "Pro" plug ins.

Channel strip which is free is very good, but I just don't like the GUI and the default pre set is the worst in any plug in ever! How they let such a fine plug in like that slip out with a default setting of all the EQ curves on the widest q ever and RMS sidechain detection switched on, on the gate/comp (buried on a sub page!!!) is a huge mystery to me and could explain why so many people don't get into it or realise just how good it is for a bundled plug in.

Apart from reverb and a good delay what you get in the box these days could execute a commercial project. I think you need a little bit more finesse on delay and verb than the current free PI's allow, but if push came to shove I could mix a record with just what's there. It's a massive change on all DAWs from say 5 years ago when what you got as "stock" was way inferior to TP Plug Ins
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM

i still use most of the avid plugs on a daily basis...the bf76 is a go to for lead rap vox

i use smack alot for adlibs the pultec bundle for pop music or drum bus i purchased the classic compressors bundle and still havent really found a use for it...buy with ebay you can get these plugs dirt cheap ahh why not purchase them the might come in handy one day