Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Default $300 plug-in budget - T-Racks and Classik Reverb - good?

I have given myself a $300 plug-in budget. Right now I only have the Ignition Pack 2 and the other Digi plug-ins that came with my Mbox 2.

I have noticed that I use EQ, Compression, and reverb the most in my sessions. I have found that the D-Verb that comes with Pro Tools to be absolutely horrible. So, I really want to upgrade there.

I saw that IK MULTIMEDIA has a special right now to get 2 of their plug-ins for $249.00 total with the cross upgrade.

I have used the light version of T-Racks a lot on single tracks with decent results. I know the full version is more of a Mastering suite. Is it still good for individual tracks and general everyday tweaking of sounds?? How about the compression it has? Better than the Digi one?

Also, what about the Classik Reverb? Is this a good choice? I really need some good reverb for my sessions. I HATE THAT D-VERB!! BOO!!

Or, should I take my $300.00 and spend it elsewhere? Any ideas? Should I just cough up the $450 and buy WAVES REN MAX instead?

Any insight would be awesomely helpful.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: $300 plug-in budget - T-Racks and Classik Reverb - good?

Check out Massey plugins. The demo's are almost fully functional without time limit (you can't bypass or save settings, but hey, the price is right!). If they'd serve for now, that could free up some cash for a decent reverb. Don't know about reverb for $300. Others will.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM

+1 for Massey. The whole suite is $365, but you don't buy it as a suite - you can pick n' choose. Make that your top priority.

As far as IK goes, T-Racks is a bit long in the tooth and isn't as good as it probably used to be, from a comparative standpoint.

CSR is really good, though.

Another good reverb option, IMO, is Masterverb from Wave Arts, available on its own or as part of a bundle.

The Music Production Toolkit might be worth looking at - it's a bit more money ($500) but you get a good convolution reverb (TL Space), a few other cool plug-ins and most importantly an expansion which allows to use 48 tracks total instead of just 32 voices.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I just downloaded the Massey plug-ins and will check them out tonight. I wish he had a reverb! (I see he made Space for Digi, I guess that's why!)

If anyone else has any advice please let me know. I just raised my budget to $500!

How about the McDSP stuff?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Have you thought about putting the money towards the Music Production Toolkit? There going on ebay for not much more than $300 and you'll get:

Smack compressor
TL Space native reverb
Sound replacer
The ability to have 48 stereo tracks
The ability to use beat detective over multiple tracks
mp3 option

This would give you some of the plugs you need plus a very professional/functional Le system.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Have you thought about putting the money towards the Music Production Toolkit? There going on ebay for not much more than $300 and you'll get:

Smack compressor
TL Space native reverb
Sound replacer
The ability to have 48 stereo tracks
The ability to use beat detective over multiple tracks
mp3 option

This would give you some of the plugs you need plus a very professional/functional Le system.

Cheers

I agree with this. buy the MPTK, spin a few plugs that your not going to use on eBay, Download the Free Massey Demos, Enjoy the Masseys and buy the Masseys Plugs piece meal as your budget allows. But buy the Massey plugs you like so that Steve can keep making us plugs that kick so much butt.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 PM

McDSP Project Studio Bundle is the best $450 you can spend on your PTLE set-up. Period. Sorry, but this isn't hyperbole. Even in the limited Project incarnation -- these are the best, most transparent plugs you can get for the money. I highly encourage you to check 'em out. If you need a quality verb plus mastering limiter, etc. I can't think of anything that competes for the money.

If you're just looking for a quality limiter, compressor, eq, tape sim, etc., Massey is unbeatable for the price. Check out the Project Studio and do some Googlin' on reviews and shootouts. FWIW.
Wheels
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM

I agree with Massey, MPTK suggestions. If you're going to go with the IK, I would get the Total Effects Bundle which adds the amp sims. SVX is good on bass for amp sim.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM

FWIW I think the Waves Renaissance bundle is a pretty good deal too. I don't have the others bundles mentioned, but I do have the MPTK and Waves Platinum. If I didn't need the extra tracks that the MPTK needed I think the Waves bundle would be a better deal. It has all 8 of the renaissance plugs (including RenVerb) and IR-L and Tune LT. And out of all of the platinum bundle plugs, I mainly use the Renaissance plugs. Not saying it's better than the other mentioned but I like it.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:22 PM

HI,

Quote:
I think the Waves Renaissance bundle is a pretty good deal too
He said he has a budget, so I don´t think he is much interested in a WUP subscription.

Personally I find it no good policy to recommend WAVES to people, especially with a budget,
without pointing out the WUP consequences for their monetary situation.

That said Massey is great, McDSP also, their Revolver seems pretty nice.
MPTK is surely a good investment.

Smack is also a nice compressor and goes on ebay for $40 or so, make a search for dutchmusic,
he´s a great longtime reliable seller of ilok licencees.

T-Racks is not a quality plug-in, for the price even less.

regs