Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2023, 03:38 PM

Default Hello, Interface question please.

Hi,
I haven't been here in 7 or 9 years or more.

I was using a Mac pro with a digi 003 rack which I still have and is collecting dust.

I recently decided to play around again and purchased a mac mini m2 pro and have been going through all my old plug ins to see what will be gone or upgrade to use on the new computer.

I have Logic and Reason installed again and was thinking about installing pro tools again.

I should have researched interfaces a bit more but I picked up a UA Volt 476P interface. I see some google searches say how to hook up volt for protools.

But I'm not finding a definitive yes that it will work.

Can I get the old 003 rack to work (which I don't think I can)? Can I get the UA volt 476P to work ( which I have a feeling I can't)?

Or will I need to consider getting the m audio or carbon if I decide to use pro tools again?

Thank you for your help

Rich
Old 12-27-2023, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Hello, Interface question please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Can I get the old 003 rack to work (which I don't think I can)?
Absolutely not, there are no Apple Silicon drivers for the 003.

Quote:
Can I get the UA volt 476P to work ( which I have a feeling I can't)?
Since UA Volt interfaces rely on USB class compliance this will work. But some performance limitations come with relying on class compliance.

Quote:
Or will I need to consider getting the m audio or carbon if I decide to use pro tools again?
Well you have a UAD interface that will work, but if you want something else...

M-Audio? The Avid M-Audio experiment was a failure and M-Audio was spun off from Avid a long time ago and is now owned by inMusic, the place where audio brands go to die. As before M-Audio focus on low-end cheap products. I would not be buying anything from M-Audio.

Pro Tools Carbon is a unique beast, but has limitations (starting with it's funky proprietary AVB), if you have a background in Pro Tools HD DSP based monitoring and really want that capability then maybe Carbon is interesting. Folks are also reporting problems with Carbon systems, including latency bugs with hybrid engine. For me I'm happy with native tracking so would just avoid it. The MTRX Studio and MTRX II with Thunderbolt interface are much more appealing to me.

There are a lot of third party interfaces out there, RME, UAD, Focusrite, Motu, Presonus, etc. With RME begin a strong personal preference.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:14 PM

Thank you for that response.
I meant mbox.
I mixed the two from m from years ago.

So I should be able to get the UA to work.

Would you know the limitations ?

I’m not planning on large recording sessions.

I would think I would like to create in Logic, then bring tracks into PT for mixing.

It kinda feels good pulling these things up again from years ago. Would love to see pro tools on the screen again.

Thank you.

Rich.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that response.
I meant mbox.
I'd not rush to get the Avid MBox Studio either, or at least be aware of the limit of 8 DAW outputs (vs confusing Avid marketing claims) and how the hardware mixer works to map those 8 outputs to the physical outputs. And now some of the latency data being reported here for the interface may have issues.

Quote:
So I should be able to get the UA to work.
Absolutely, it's class compliant, just connect it up. That's the big advantage of class compliant devices.

Quote:
Would you know the limitations ?
The limitations are you are just likely to get a less optimized driver performance with class compliant devices. So higher latency than other more optimized interfaces, maybe less stability at very small buffer sizes. But for most users with small interfaces this may make no difference.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:58 PM

Darryl,
May I ask, I'm about ready to hit the purchase button to purchase the Pro Tools "Artists". To confirm, it probably will work And that's for a year with an annual renewal.

It looks like that's all I would need. It's looks comparative to the LE I used with the production tool kit.

Just confirming,

Thank you

Rich

edit: I must have posted when you did and didn't your return post.

Thank you for your help.

one more thing, Would you know where I would activate private messages? It says I have it turned off and when I go to user CP> private massage I don't see the on/off button.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:04 PM

Should work is different than will work. You want will not should.

So download free Pro Tools Intro and test that out on your computer and with your interface.

Then you can buy a Pro Tools Artist perpetual license or subscription... and install that license, it's all the same core Pro Tools product so you don't even need to install a different version of Pro Tools (but you might install some additional plugins that come with Artist).

I would personally also buy a iLok dongle to put your Artist license on. Intro can be licensed to the computer, but Artist and above needs to use iLok Cloud or a physical iLok key ... I would not rely on iLok cloud, it can be flaky, and you need to have internet connectivity all the time using it).

And uninstall Avid Link after installing Pro Tools, it's a bloated problematic product supposed to help install Pro Tools etc., you are better off managing your own software installs, download the installers from the My Products section of your Avid.com account.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:18 PM

I see Artist doesn't have advanced automation where as the studio does.
is automation and advanced automation two separate things or are they the same and there is no automation in the Artist package?

Thank you, I very much appreciate your help Darryl

Rich
Old 12-27-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Should work is different than will work. You want will not should.

So download free Pro Tools Intro and test that out on your computer and with your interface.

Then you can buy a Pro Tools Artist perpetual license or subscription... and install that license, it's all the same core Pro Tools product so you don't even need to install a different version of Pro Tools (but you might install some additional plugins that come with Artist).

I would personally also buy a iLok dongle to put your Artist license on. Intro can be licensed to the computer, but Artist and above needs to use iLok Cloud or a physical iLok key ... I would not rely on iLok cloud, it can be flaky, and you need to have internet connectivity all the time using it).

And uninstall Avid Link after installing Pro Tools, it's a bloated problematic product supposed to help install Pro Tools etc., you are better off managing your own software installs, download the installers from the My Products section of your Avid.com account.

I've been out of this for a while. I think there's a new ilok dongle. I have the old blue ones. would you know if the old ones will work or the new ones are needed. Seems all the other software I've been updating are now able to use the iLok cloud.

( I may just purchase one and be done with it, you said the ilok cloud is flaky, I've just been turning things on to see if they're installed but haven't done any sessions yet)
Old 12-27-2023, 07:29 PM

Going to download the trial, I'll let you know how it works , if it works
Old 12-27-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I've been out of this for a while. I think there's a new ilok dongle. I have the old blue ones. would you know if the old ones will work or the new ones are needed. Seems all the other software I've been updating are now able to use the iLok cloud.
Pro Tools now requires a second or third gen iLok. First gen are huge ugly P shaped things. Second gen are small black rectangular with a clear plastic cover part and with a blue stripe around the middle. Some early second gen iLoks had reliability issues. Current third gen are small stainless steel... they are the best choice, almost indestructible. You can find photos of these online.