Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Native Instruments Komplete 7

Does anyone know of any problems with using NI Komplete 7 with Pro Tools 8? Also does the package come complete with a good synth package like Xpand2?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Native Instruments Komplete 7

I used Komp 7 under PT v8 without any major problems. Any problems that I have had, I'm not sure were specifically NI's fault. RTAS has it's issues which have been covered here in great detail.

Komplete is a great package of instruments. I have been using Kontakt and Absynth since they first came out. I bought into the Komplete package at v6. Synth wise there is Absynth, Reaktor, FM, and Massive, which are all fantastic and much better than XPand!2 (IMO). Kontakt is one of the best samplers available, and Battery has it's own very cool approach to drum, sample, loop, and rex playback. Plus you get Guitar Rig and all the samples. A great value.

The Avid Instrument Expansion is a great value too. Structure is a cool sampler and not surprisingly has the best PT integration. I wish it had a better included sample library, and had better industry support for sample libraries, but these days everyone wants to use their own sample engine. Transfuser is one of the coolest and innovative loop creation devices (as well as other cool stuff), that I have come across (although loop creation is not my 'thing'). Strike is a great drum module, and to me, of all the drum modules out there has the most innovative feature set for a songwriter to easily create a cool drum track that is customized to their tune, while being able to start from a Style template. Hybrid is a very cool synth and Velvet is very nice too.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Keep in mind that NI usually updates Komplete every year, and it should only be a few weeks before Komplete 8 is out, so you may want to hold off a little bit.

As mentioned, it is a great package. It's not like Xpand in that there's one instrument with a bunch of sounds, but rather different instruments that specialize. Plus, the Kontakt sampler is an industry standard and there's a zillion 3rd party libraries you can buy for it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Keep in mind that NI usually updates Komplete every year, and it should only be a few weeks before Komplete 8 is out, so you may want to hold off a little bit.
Not exactly accurate about how NI releases Komplete.

The biggest thing to remember is what cneal92 mentioned about RTAS issues.
I pretty much run Komplete inside of anything but PT then just bring it into PT.

It said because Avid has done a good job of making their VI's run well but 3rd party VI's still run extremely heavy in PT.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM

They used to update every 2 years but with 6 to 7 it was just a year.

Now they're giving the same signs as before, which is half off upgrades, and then you'll see heavy discounts on the full version.